s i x

a/n:
banner at the top is made by worldgirlalways

s i x

December 21, 2014

I awoke from the vibrations softly hitting my hipbone, and moved to the left slightly to see my phone flashing with a text. Last night (actually early morning) I must have tossed it from exauhstion after texting Athena until four in the morning. I looked at the time on my phone to see it was eleven, and smiled when I realized I didn't have a single nightmare all night. Neat.

She'd texted: ‛Excited for Christmas?'

I looked at the date on my phone. How could I forget about Christmas? It was four days away and the holiday just completely slipped my mind.

I quickly typed back. ‛I kinda forgot'

     Almost a minute later, she was ranting through text. ‛What the hell do you mean you forgot?! Who the frick can forget the wonderful joy of leaving cookies and milk for Santa as a child, not to forget the carrots for his reindeer. Or the anticipation of waiting to finally be able to open the presents, but first waking up everyone in the house yelling that it's Christmas. And the late nights you spent trying to catch Santa in your house but you never saw him so you figured he had magic powers or some poo like that to make you fall asleep. And you knew he came too because the cookies were half eaten and so was the milk and the carrots were gone'.

     I chuckled as I read her response‚ and re-read it just to smile at her cuteness.

     Athena: oh no‚ crap‚ do you even celebrate Christmas?
     Athena: you can never talk to me again‚ I'll understand
     Athena: you can shoot me. I have no right to criticize your beliefs

     Though I haven't told my parents this‚ I was actually an Atheist. There just wasn't a reason given to me to believe in religion. My family wasn't extremely religious or anything but they believed, and I shied away from telling them that wasn't my thing. I usually celebrate Christmas because I always thought it symbolized family and togetherness, and that was why you gave them presents on that day — because you're showing you love them by giving them a present that they'd been hoping to get for a long time.

     Me: you're cuye. I celebrate Christmas
     Me: cute*

     She replied ten minutes later.

     Athena: how are you going to be celebrating?

     Me: I dont know, my parents were pretty overwhelmed with the news about callum

     Just after I sent it‚ I felt the guilt of lying to her settle in my stomach.

      Me: what about you?

     I usually spelled all the words out when I text like how I would when actually writing something and didn't use the abbreviations. Save for apostrophes and capitalization. I feared the possibility of actually get mixed up between text-talk and correctly speaking or writing. It was Callum's fault really‚ because he did that a lot.

     Athena: I dont think my mom will be here for christmas

      I bit my lip. Was she okay with this? This is why I preferred talking in person over texting‚ if we were face-to-face then I'd be able to see her expression—but we weren't, and I was to be left unanswered and wondering.