Corrupt Officer.

Tobias leads me out into the back garden. He reaches into his pocket before emerging with a box of cigarettes and a lighter. He places it between his lips and shields the end from the wind before lighting the cigarette. The scent of smoke surrounds us and I lean back against the wall as I picture Mom smoking at the dining table. The scent is comforting and causes panic within me at the same time. That was the day she threatened me with Trevor if I didn't go along with her wedding guest plans. "You're scowling," Tobias comments before handing me the cigarette. I reluctantly take it from him. Maybe choosing to smoke wasn't a good idea after all.

"It's been a tough couple of weeks," I mutter an explanation. Tobias' gaze drags from my face to the cigarette in my hands. It's almost as if he can sense my reluctance to smoke, so he plucks the cigarette from my fingers.

"Smoking isn't going to take it away," Tobias tells me. I mumble in agreement before sliding down to the floor. I pull my knees into my chest and keep Tobias company as he works his way through the cigarette. Neither of us speak, but the silence isn't uncomfortable. I hear the back door open and Jake steps out into the garden. His eyes scan the area before dropping down to me.

"Hey. I've been looking for you," he says quietly. His jaw tenses slightly when he notices Tobias standing next to me. I give him a half-hearted wave in greeting. "Well, you found me," I respond. His eyebrows crease together with concern and he walks toward me before turning to give Tobias a cold glare.

"Don't smoke around her. Second hand smoke is just as bad as smoking cigarettes." Jake tells him. My lips curl up at the edges when I hear him repeat the same words I'd told him weeks ago. It feels like an eternity when Jake was questioning me about my jumpy behaviour in the school corridors."Whatever, man." Tobias mutters under his breath. He finishes his cigarette before dropping it to the floor and heading back into the house. Jake drops down beside me before gently nudging me with his knee. "Are you okay?"

"Not really," I whisper before resting my head on his shoulder. He slides an arm around my shoulders before nestling me closer into him. His scent instantly calms the emotions brewing inside me. "The police came to question me about tonight." Jake sits up straight before turning to look at me. "Fuck, I'm sorry I wasn't here. What did you say?"

"I lied. I told them we were home all evening and Tobias confirmed our alibi. It won't be long until they find a video of you beating Trevor though," I tell him. My thoughts turn to Detective Jones and I feel goosebumps scatter down my bare arms. I turn to look at Jake with pale cheeks and fear in my eyes. "I recognised one of the police officers. It was my stalker." Jake's eyes grow wide with disbelief. "What? He was inside the house?" Jake jumps to his feet with panic. He begins pacing the garden in front of me while tugging at the strands of his hair.

"Yeah, his name is Detective Constable Jones." I tell him. My features twist with uneasiness when I speak his name. Jake suddenly stops pacing the garden and his shoulders turn rigid. He turns to look at me with a flash of recognition in his eyes. "Did you say Jones?" Jake breathes out in disbelief. I nod my head in confirmation. I would never forget his name, his dangerous aura or his cold eyes.

"Yes. You know him, don't you?" I question Jake. He pulls his phone out of his pocket before dialling a number. "Yeah, I know him." Jake mutters darkly. His jaw ticks, and the muscle above his eye twitches with frustration. I expect Jake to walk away from me during his conversation, but he doesn't. "Jones is back on the scene. He's been following Emily for a couple of weeks. There's been texts and random phone calls." Jake says down the line. Is he speaking to Amil? What link does Jake have to DC Jones, and what does it have to do with me? Jones started to stalk me before I became involved with Jake. His plan with me feels personal, but I have no idea why.