Sleeping Buddies.

I knew Jake Melvin was in good shape, but I underestimated how many muscles he would have. He lifts his shirt over his head before dropping it to the floor. My mouth falls open in shock, so I quickly snap it shut. I try to look away, but it's physically impossible when there's a work of art standing in front of me. If there was a competition for the most impressive abs, Jake would take home the ribbon. The dark tattoos covering his right arm spread across the top of his chest. I feel all of the moisture strip from my throat.

"You're staring, Wentworth." Jake tells me with humour lining his voice. I tear my eyes off him before blushing hard. "Am I? Sorry. I, uhm..." My voice trails off, and I struggle to compose myself. Why must I always embarrass myself around him? Am I incapable of playing it cool? Jake begins to remove his shorts and I quickly find my voice to stop him.

"No! Keep the shorts on," I command him. If he removes any more items of clothing, I'm going to melt into a puddle. Jake throws an amused look at me before walking round to the empty side of his bed. My stomach tightens with nerves and I begin questioning why I thought this would be a good idea. How am I supposed to sleep when he's lying inches away from me looking like a delicious snack? The mattress dips when he climbs into bed. He reaches over to turn off his lamp and the room is engulfed in darkness. I breathe a sigh of relief knowing he can't see the heat invading every part of my being. Jake shuffles closer before extending his arm across the back of my pillow.

"You can come closer to me if you want," Jake says quietly. I swallow the lump in the back of my throat before shuffling closer to him. His arm slides across my shoulders and he pulls me tighter until I'm resting against his chest. The warmth of his skin surprises me. His body radiates heat and I gently rest my hand over his firm chest. I feel Jake inhale a sharp breath underneath me. This definitely doesn't feel like a situation that should happen between friends.

"I didn't anticipate being sleeping buddies with you," Jake murmurs in my hair. His fingers gently trail down my spine and back up again. I shiver against him before squeezing my eyes shut in an attempt to feel sleepy. I was exhausted earlier on, but Jake's presence has caused me to be wide awake and alert.

"Neither did I," I whisper in response. If it wasn't for the awkwardness on my part, sleeping next to Jake would feel very comfortable. He doesn't make any sexual jokes or advances toward me. His small amounts of affection never cross the line, and I invite them in with open arms. It feels good when Jake touches me. I've spent so long feeling like my body doesn't really belong to me. Being with Jake makes me feel like I have control again. His breathing labours and his hand eventually grows still on my back. I lie awake on his chest while trying to ignore my spiralling thoughts.

"Are you awake?" I whisper without moving a muscle. "Yes," Jake responds quietly. "Do you think I'll be forced to go back home? I'm not eighteen for another year, which means I'm legally supposed to stay with my parents." It's the burning question on my mind that sends waves of dread soaring through me. I have to talk about it so I can explore my options and put my mind to rest.

"They can't force you to go home if you tell them about Trevor. You're not safe living with him," Jake tells me. The thought of telling other people about the ordeal he put me through makes me feel queasy. I release a trembling breath and Jake's hold tightens around me. "I won't let anyone send you back there. You're staying with me," Jake says quietly. His words ease the worry consuming me and I bury myself tightly against him. Facing the unknown with Jake makes me feel less alone. His hand strokes over my hair and his chest rises and falls with his steady breathing. The motion of it calms me down and I find myself growing sleepier with every passing minute.

"You're like my angel sent to save me," I tell him quietly. Jake stills against me and his hand stops stroking my hair. His hesitancy causes me to hold my breath and I wish I knew what he was thinking. "I'm not the person you think I am, Emily."