Best Damn Pancakes in Town.

I spend the night wrapped up in Jake's arms. He holds me while I cry years of pent up heartbreak and anger. He lies with me in Ivory's spare bedroom until I fall asleep. He doesn't say much, but his eyes speak a thousand words. He looks angry at Trevor and consumed by sympathy for me. Just as I'm about to fall asleep, I feel him shuffle closer before draping the blanket across my body. His fingers gently stroke down my cheek, and I feel his eyes lingering on my face —

"What are you doing to me, Wentworth?" Jake whispers quietly before climbing off the bed. I'm too exhausted to question his words, but I store them away in the back of my head to ask for more details when I next see him. I hear the bedroom door shut softly behind him and I'm left alone to fall asleep and work off the hangover.

*

Sunlight streams in through the window. I feel like it's torturing me with its brightness. A groan slips through my lips and I press my palms into my eyes. There's a small pounding in my head, and my throat is incredibly dry from the alcohol I consumed last night. I rub small circles over my temples before remembering what day it is.

"Happy birthday to me," I sing bluntly, feeling no desire to celebrate. Birthdays have been bleak ever since Dad died. I can't remember the last time I was celebrated for anything. I suddenly catch sight of my body, and I release a small gasp when I realise I'm not dressed. My blouse is sitting on the floor by the bedroom door. My eyes grow wide when I replay the moment I undressed to show Jake Melvin the bruises running down my body. I bolt upright in bed with the colour draining from my cheeks.

"Holy shit. What have I done?" I say to myself. I scramble out of bed before stumbling due to my hungover state. I charge for my blouse before pulling it over my head. My heart thumps wildly inside my chest and I glance around for any sign of Jake. Did he leave me here alone? Did I expect him to stay after divulging the biggest secret of my life?

I fumble around for my phone when I suddenly remember leaving it in my jacket downstairs. I curse before running a hand through my hair to fix my appearance. I pull open Ivory's spare bedroom door before listening out for any noise. The house is silent and the opposite to its lively atmosphere last night. I squeeze through the door before tiptoeing down the hallway. I have no idea if Ivory knows I spent the night in her spare bedroom, so I plan on sneaking out before she has a chance to find out.

I'm standing at the top of the stairs when I hear Ivory's voice float out from behind me.

"Hey, good morning." Ivory says in a hoarse voice. I whip around to find her dressed in last night's outfit while clutching two bottles of water in her hand. Her makeup is smeared, and her hair is thrown up messily in a high ponytail. She shoots a small smile in my direction.

"Hi." I respond to her while feeling incredibly awkward. Ivory walks over to me before offering me a bottle of water. I unscrew the cap before taking three deep mouthfuls. It instantly helps make me feel better. "Thanks for letting me crash here last night and for the water." I say quietly. Ivory begins walking downstairs, so I follow closely behind her.

"It's cool. Jake told me how much of a jerk Jared was. I've officially banned him from attending any future parties. Men like him give the rest a bad reputation," Ivory mumbles unhappily. I chew on my bottom lip with anxiety. How much did Jake tell Ivory? Would he reveal my darkest secret to Ivory?

"Did you have a good night?" I ask her, partly wanting to change the subject. Ivory nods her head before pressing the water bottle against her forehead for relief. "It was a great party, although I'm paying for it today."

The house is covered with empty alcohol bottles, rubbish and plastic cups. The scent of alcohol is overbearing and Ivory groans at the sight of her home. I find my jacket before taking several steps toward the front door. Before I leave, Ivory gestures in the direction of the kitchen. "Do you want breakfast? Food might help take away the drilling inside my head," she mutters. I laugh at the grimace that takes over her face. I'm ready to politely decline her request when the scent of pancakes floats through the house. As if on cue, my stomach rumbles loudly with hunger.