Chapter 29: I Promise

En başından başla

"What happened in there?" Beth asks me.

I smile and chuckle softly. "She heard me."

"What do you mean?" Demi asks confused by my words.

"While she was in the coma, she heard everything I said to her." I say still in disbelief that heard it all. "She told me she could hear everything that happened."

Calli's doctor cuts in. "That's not unusual for comatose patience to hear what's going in the background, but Calli was predominately brain dead. It's amazing she was able to hear all of that."

Mrs. Kelly and Nathan walk out moments later, allowing others to go in and visit her. Once everyone's done we're sent back to the waiting area to see what's going to happen to her. The doctor's are running multiple tests on her knee and her brain.

Finally after hours in the waiting area her doctor comes back out.

He takes his glasses off and stares at us. "Well, I have good news, bad news, and worse news. Which would you like first?"

"Good news." Mrs. Kelly says nervously.

"Well the good news goes along with the bad news. Calli's ACL has been torn for quite some time, and there are still glass shards inside the muscle of her leg, but that can be fixed with a couple of surgeries."

Everyone sighs a breath of relief.

"Thank God." Mrs. Kelly says squeezing Nathan's hand.

"Well, now here's the worse news." The doctor says." The accident caused severe damage to Calli's spine. It's so severe that even surgery won't completely fix it."

"What do you mean it won't fix it?" Mrs. Kelly asks, a sob escaping her throat.

"I mean," He begins. "Calli is paralyzed from the waist down. She will never dance or walk again."

Mrs. Kelly falls to her knees sobbing. "This can't be true. Dancing is Calli's life. What is she supposed to do now?" Her voice rising, practically becoming a yell.

"I'm sorry, but because of the length of time her spine was left unattended, it's impossible to fix." He says.

Beth and Demi are hysterically sobbing.

"You're her doctor!" Demi yells.

"You should've had that looked at in the beginning!" Beth screams.

Their dance teacher gently pulls them off to the side to console them. Jesse and Scott walk over as well, wrapping their arms around them.

"I know it seems like there is something I should've done for her from the beginning, but I couldn't. Had I done something, I could have caused more permanent damage to her than she already has. In a few hours she'll be moved in for the first surgery on her knee. That is just to get glass out. In a couple of days she'll have a second surgery to fix her ACL. A week or two after we've fixed up her knee, she'll go into surgery on her back to see what we can do." He kneels down beside Mrs. Kelly. "We are doing everything we can to heal Calli, to the best she will be." He looks up at me. "Austin, you might want to go to her room now."

I nod my head and sprint down the hallway. I slowly open the door, peeking around it. I see Calli instantly. She's sobbing hard, trying to catch her breath. I walk over to the side of her bed and gently squeeze her hand. She opens her eyes at glances at me.

"I can't believe this." She whispers. "Austin what am I supposed to do?"

I shake my head defeated. "I don't know baby." That's all I can manage to say. "I don't know if there's anything I can say or do to make you feel any better."

"Will you lay with me?" She asks choking on her sob. "My nurse just needs to come in and help you get in bed. I just really need you to hold me."

I nod my head. "Of course." I hit the button next to her bed, and the same nurse from earlier comes in.

"You want to lay with her don't you?" She asks smiling.

"If that's ok." I answer.

"It's fine." She says stepping toward the bed. "Let me help you first."

She adjusts Calli easily, and I crawl into the bed with her. I wrap an arm around her shoulder as her body is pressed against mine. It's been over seven months, but feels just like the last time she was wrapped up in my arms.

The nurse walks out the room, and Calli begins sobbing again.

"I don't know what to do Austin." She whispers. "I can't be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I need to dance."

I kiss the top of her head, holding back my own tears. "I know Calli." I sigh. "I can't promise you'll ever walk again, but I know how strong you are. I know you'll find some way to do what you love again."

Calli sighs. She's on the verge of sleeping from the pain medicine they gave her. "Do you promise?" She whispers before falling asleep.

I softly kiss her head again, feeling myself start to drift off to sleep. "I promise."