Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Omigod! Ty and Sam were freaking street racers! I didn’t even know there were races around here. Although it is illegal so I’d probably be worried if I did already know about it. I wonder how long he’s been going. Was he just starting out or had he been doing it for a while? I definitely want a go when we get there. I don’t know if they’ll let me but I still have to ask.

I threw my book carelessly to the side – it wasn't like I’d actually been reading it anyway – and slid off the bed. I pulled on a pair of denim shorts, a dark aqua singlet and my black knee-high boots. I grabbed my black hoodie off the back of my chair in case it got cold, my phone and house eyes. The hoodie was actually the one I stole out of Sam’s car but I liked it and had no intention of returning it.

So as soon as Sam came back to see if I was ready, we left. “I call shotgun!” I threw my hoodie on the backseat and slid into the passenger seat. Sam slid in beside me and pulled out of the driveway, Ty in the back.

Sam glanced over at me and handed me a small round object. “I grabbed you some of the foundation powder in the bathroom. I didn’t think you’d want people noticing your face and asking questions. It’s not too noticeable but I thought you might want it.”

I shook my head. “Thanks. I totally forgot about covering it up. You don’t think it will bruise, do you?” I applied the foundation best I could as the car moved. I hoped it wouldn’t bruise. It didn’t look like it would but it was still red. Not as red as earlier but too dark to be mistaken as blush.

“No. We have to pick Will up too, by the way.” He looked at me pointedly as I stored the make-up in the centre console. “Don't forget to get that back out, Rose.”

“Nuh-uh. I am not sitting in the back. I was here first. Will can sit in the back. So . . . can I drive?”

“Now? No. We’re almost at Will’s place.” He craftily evaded my question by acting dumb. But I knew him well enough to know it was just that: acting.

I rolled my eyes. “Not now, idiot. I mean when we get to wherever you guys race. I want a go.”

Sam’s hands tightened on the steering wheel and I think his face hardened. When he spoke, his voice was strained and tense. “No.”

“Why not.” I persisted.

“Racing is dangerous. It’s not a game!”

“You race so why can't I?”

“Rose. I said no.”

My heart sank and my face fell. It sounded like fun; an adrenalin rush, a distraction. It wasn't like I wanted to race regularly or competitively. I just wanted some fun. I voiced my thoughts, knowing it would make them feel guilty.

We pulled into the driveway out the front of what must have been Will’s house because he was waiting for us. He mustn't have been paying attention because he opened my door and slid in to land on me. He was heavy.

"Excuse me!" I exclaimed, trying to push him off.

He was startled and almost fell out of the car. "Shit! Sorry, Rose. Are we giving you a lift somewhere before us guys meet up with our...dates." he lifted himself off me so I could get out to let him in the backseat. Not that he knew that. Will probably thought I was going to climb in the back next to Ty.

"You're lying." I said simply, waiting for him to climb in. He was still oblivious and waiting for me to get in the back.

Ty chuckled at his friend. "Sorry, man. She called shotgun. You’re in the back with me." he smiled wryly.