"Ha, got you." Too shaken to even joke to himself, he quickly flicked it on, hoping for any kind of light. Instead, there was a loud whir of...fans? That wasn't what he wanted, but at least it cleared the mist. He turned around to retrace his steps, but jumped back with a loud cry of surprise as a large...thing loomed in front of him. He'd never seen anything like it—there were so many legs...no face, just a gaping, black hole...and the whole thing seemed to be melting. It took a lurching step toward Sans, and he jumped back, eye blazing blue.

"You take one more step and we're gonna have some trouble, buddy."

The thing cocked its head curiously, then wiggled its back half before bounding forward. The whole lab shook with the force of its jump, and Sans fell backward. He held up his hand with a huff.

"I warned you."

"Stop!"

Sans looked up as Alphys ran into the room, panting hard as she threw herself between him and the thing, arms up as if that would shield it more.

"Don't hurt them! They're not dangerous!"

Sans stared at her, then shook his head, eye still glowing. "Not...Alphys, look at it! It could have killed me with one more jump!"

"N-no! I swear it wouldn't!"

Sans jumped up to his feet. "What the hell even is this anyway? What are you and Gaster doing down here?"

Alphys cringed. "It...it's..." She swallowed. "It's...part of an...an experiment."

"And does Asgore know about this? Or are you two just...just mad scientists working on...on horrors like this?" he snapped, gesturing to the thing, which seemed to be cowering a bit from all the shouting.

Alphys cringed. "I-I know this...it looks bad. B-but really...they're still...they're still monsters..."

Sans' sockets widened. "These are monsters? What the fuck have you done to them?" he shouted. Alphys hunched back.

"I...I...l-look, Sans, let me just ex-explain..."

Sans shook his head. "No...no, I'm done. I'm out. I want nothing to do with you or Gaster or...or any kind of science if this is where it leads to." His eye flickered yellow as he focused on teleporting out...but nothing happened. His chest tightened, and he tried again. And again. What was wrong? Was he too far underground? Why couldn't he leave?!

He grimaced, then pushed past Alphys and the thing. One way or another, he had to get out of here. He bolted toward the room with the beds, only to clatter into Gaster. The taller skeleton caught him, staring at him in shock.

"Why on earth are you down here?"

Sans shoved him away and glared up at him. "Does Asgore know about this?" he snapped again, gesturing to the thing, whose massive tail wagged as it saw Gaster. "Because I swear to God, I will go up and tell him right now what's going on down here. You have to be some...some kind of freak to do this to monsters!"

Gaster sighed, holding his head with one hand. "If you will shut off your eye, I will tell you what is happening." He narrowed his sockets at Alphys. "I expected better of you, Alphys."

She cringed again. "I...I was just..."

Gaster shook his head with a frustrated sigh. He summoned a bone, making Sans tense, then tossed it to the thing, which absorbed it into its void, tail wagging even more.