"You don't get to talk about anime for a week."

Alphys groaned, and Sans laughed. This would be fine. How bad could a quick scan be?

~

Again, Sans had put his curiosity before anything else. After all, the scan would happen in the lower lab, and that was a hell of an incentive for potentially finding out some troubling news. But really, the results couldn't be that bad. Sure, he was tired all the time, and yeah, he couldn't move his mouth. But...that had to be the extent of the damage, right? Right.

There was the familiar hiss of hydraulics as he reached the main lab, but his brow furrowed once he stepped inside. It was...dark. And awfully quiet.

"Alphys?"

No answer. He flicked on the light switch, and the lab was most definitely empty. Maybe he was supposed to meet her downstairs? He felt a little twist of apprehension in his chest, but shook it off. The lower lab seemed off-limits, but it wasn't like anyone had actually said he couldn't go down there; and anyway, even if there was a genuine ban on going to the lab, Alphys had invited him. This would be fine.

He walked over to the elevator and hit the button. Then he waited. And waited. It sure was taking a long time getting up to the main lab. Just how far down was the lower lab? He let out a breath as there was another hiss of hydraulics as the elevator doors opened, but hesitated on actually stepping in. There was something...awfully eerie about this whole thing, and he genuinely worried over whether this had been a bad idea.

But it was Alphys who had told him to come. She was nerdy and more than a little anxious, but she wouldn't do anything bad. He sucked in a breath and stepped inside, pressing the button for the lower floor.

It was a long elevator.

Very long.

Too long.

Just as Sans thought it would keep going forever, it reached the bottom. He practically bolted out of the thing, then looked around. The lower lab actually...wasn't much better than the elevator ride. Strange whispery sounds echoed through the air, bouncing off the metal walls. And it was still so dark.

"Alphys?"

No reply.

"Alphys, seriously."

Still nothing.

"Gaster?"

Only the strange whir of machines greeted him. God, where were they? Sans swallowed hard, regretting this decision. Something was just so...off about this place. But he couldn't back out now. He tensed as he walked into the next room, eyes scanning over the whole area as quickly as he could. He furrowed his brow as he saw it was full of beds.

"Heh...not even I'm tired enough to try you guys out," he joked weakly, not liking the way his voice echoed back at him. But really, why were there beds in a lab? And why so many? He swallowed again and pushed onward.

"Alphys, would it kill you to turn on some lights?" he called out, but still no answer. He stepped into the next room, then came to a dead stop. It was filled with...smoke? Mist? Whatever it was, he could barely see a foot in front of him. He reached his hand out to feel the wall as he walked forward. He stopped as he heard a strange, strangled noise, a chill running down his spine. Was something else here? He looked around, but the mist was too thick. His bones rattled as he continued walking forward. He felt along the wall a little more frantically to find some kind of light switch.