forty two

Braelynn

I pulled back from Ron's kiss in complete surprise. My cheeks were heated up. "I'm sorry," he quickly apologized. I chucked,"Don't be. Atleast I have something to remember you by."

He smiled as I excused myself. I went to the stage and took a microphone. "Hi, guys," I said, getting their attention. "My flight leaves soon, so I have to get my things and head for the airport. I just wanted to thank all of you who came and helped out. This party means a lot to me and I'll never forget it. Congrats on all of you for making it this far, and all of you will be in my thoughts on graduation day." Everyone applauded and Camari came and hugged me. "Come on, let me walk you to the dorm one last time."

***

"Is that everything?" She asked me. I nodded,"Yep."

She sat down on her bed, looking all sad. I sat next to her. "Please don't cry."

"I-I'm trying not too," she said honestly. "I'm just gonna miss you. I've never bonded with someone like this before. Besides Harley, but that bitch doesn't count." She managed to smile. I grinned back and hugged her.

"I'm gonna miss you, C. You're my sister, not my best friend. I'll never forget about you, and I promise in about 5 years our children are gonna be going over each others houses, while we sit on the sofa and gossip about our men."

"Hell yeah," she laughed even though there were tears in her eyes. As you can see, we weren't very good at this.

We stood up and I asked her to help me start carrying my things down before the cab came, and of course she agreed. Before we left I took one last glance at the room I've spent the last couple months in and mentally said a heartbreaking goodbye to it.

****

"Well guys," I was surrounded by my closest friends at this school; Andrea, Ron, Jaden, and Camari. "T-this is it," my voice cracked. Andy ran over and hugged me tightly, and I felt the tears fall down and a huge lump form in my throat. "I love you, Andrea," I finally choked out. "Love you too. Gonna miss you, prodigy, you're gonna make it big." She grinned and stepped back. I gave Jaden a hug and he managed to tease me even in this sad moment. I just smiled and shook my head at him.

Ron approached and everyone backed up to I guess 'give us space', as Camari said. "You're really leaving, huh?" He asked. I nodded lightly,"Yeah."

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into one of those cute hugs. "I'm gonna miss you, Braelynn."

"You too."

"I would kiss you again but, y'know," his face heated up. I giggled and kissed his cheek. "That's all you get." He blushed,"And that's all I needed."

"This isn't goodbye, Ronnie. Not for any of y'all," I turned and faced the rest of them,"If any of you ever wanna link up, just call me and we'll make it happen." They all smiled. I hugged Ron one last time and Camari came up to me even though we already said our goodbyes in our, her room.

"Where's Justin?" I asked. She shrugged and looked around. Even she was hoping that he would come. I had been trying to stay out of his way these last couple of days, but I was really disappointed that he didn't come to my party or even came to say goodbye. "You and Ron?"

I shook my head,"I think we're gonna remain friends."

My cab pulled up and Jaden put my things in the trunk. I said one last goodbye to everyone and told Camari that I'd text her before the cab drove off.

****

I was about to board my plane when I heard someone call my name. And no matter how cliché it is, it was Justin. I turned around and I couldn't help but smile. "Didn't know that you're the type to do this tacky movie shit." He smiled and I noticed his red eyes. "Just hug me, please." I didn't hesitate to wrap my arms around him and he did the same, kissing my forehead once or twice.

"Are you and Ron together?" He asked almost as he was afraid of the answer. "What?"

"I uh... I saw you kiss," he scratched the back of his neck,"I don't care if you are."

I shook my head. "No. I'm not seeing him." A look of relief covered his face and he nodded,"Oh. Alright."

"Why didn't you come to the party?"

"I didn't wanna ruin your last night here. Stress you out," he shrugged,"Wanted you to have some fun."

"Why are you here?" I asked curiously, looking at the time. My plane was leaving soon.

"Cause I ... I'm sorry alright? I know you didn't sabotage me and I put dirt all on your name. I was wrong, and I ruined something good. I was just hoping that we could go back to the way things were and - and start fresh and --"

"No."

"And we could, what?" I shook my head and forced myself not to tear up. "No. I can't do it, Justin. I won't set myself up for a heartbreak, not again. I loved you and you hurt me.. I don't need that stress while I'm just starting off my career, I'm sorry."

"But Braelynn--"

"I tried to talk to you! I tried to tell you that I didn't do it, and I tried to save what we had, but you didn't listen! You didn't fucking listen and you didn't want me, you didn't want us, Justin! Now, it's over. I'm sorry--"

"Flight 54 to Atlanta, Georgia is ready for departure."

"Look," I picked up my travel bag and put my suitcase in my hand,"I gotta go. It was nice seeing you. I wish you the best of luck in life."

"Braelynn, please."

"No, Justin," I exhaled. "I gotta go. Let. Me. Go." I turned and walked, not looking back until I was on my plane and in my seat, looking through the window. There was Justin, staring through the glass, hoping I'd turn around and run to him.

I never did.