Who are you?

~Alex’s view~

I sat on the couch reading a book, there was really no point in going back to school. I would have already been counted as absent so why not take the day off? It was worth it since I now knew that Katy was ok.

Clank, clank.

I turned my head as I listened to the noises coming from the kitchen. Katy had said she wasn’t hungry so it couldn’t be her, so...who was in my kitchen? I sat my book on the coffee table and stood as the door swung open and a guy about my age with silver hair and blue eyes stood in the doorway with a surprised look on his face.

“Who are you?” I asked as calmly as I could, seeing as though some random guy just came out of my kitchen eating my food, I don’t think anyone would expect me to be that calm. “And why are you in my house?”

There was a moment of silence before the boy’s face spread into a wide grin. “Hi, I’m Jake. One of Katy’s friends,” he held out his hand but I ignored it. “I came over earlier to check on Katy after I heard the news.”

“Then why are you in my kitchen?” I asked, quickly losing my patience and calm exterior.

Jake turned red a bit. “I was a bit hungry and Katy said you wouldn’t mind.”

“Well, I do,” I spat at him.

Jake put his hands in front of him defensively. “Sorry...I didn’t mean to be rude.”

I clenched my fists, unable to speak as the feelings inside of me turned into a fiery ball of anger and jealousy. I was mad at him for just coming into my house, but he did have an excuse, The jealousy? I don’t know what that was about. I just felt jealous that he was Katy’s friend.

I mean I don’t even know what she considers me as.

As I was just about to unleash all my fury on him Katy came running down the stairs and I managed to hold it in. I didn’t want her to think I was a rude person who exploded on random people.

Katy’s face was covered with surprise as she looked from me to Jake and back again, “S-So...you guys have met…” She stammered.

Jake chuckled. “Not exactly the way I was hoping though.”

I glared at him.

Katy took hold of my arm and sighed, “Can I talk to you alone?”

“Sure,” I said sweetly, I just can’t help it. I’m a sucker for her.

She led me into the hallway and looked at me nervously. “Ummm...could Jake stay here for a while?”

I felt my anger boil at the sound of his name as I tried to stay calm. “Why?”

Katy bit her bottom lip for a moment. “….His parents are out of town for a while and he doesn’t have a place to stay….” She looked up at me with her beautiful brown eyes. “And I was thinking that...since you said your dad isn’t here that often maybe he could stay here with us.”

“….but….why?” I whined childishly. I didn’t like him around Katy, and I definitely didn’t want him living with her. But what else could I do? She was practically begging me to let him stay. I sighed. “Fine,” I said grumpily.

She jumped up and down in glee before running off to tell Jake he could stay. I reluctantly followed.