"I guess so...." replied Jackson, mortified.

I giggled, pulling his cheeks. "You like chocolate milkshake, don't you?" I chirped.

"Yeah," he said.

"Let's go and fill our tummies with it!"

I took him to the neighborhood cafe although he was a bit reluctant. But I was determined to make him happy.

Jackson looked such a cute and adorable little boy sipping the milkshake from the glass that he held carefully with his baby hands. After taking the last gulp of the hot drink, he placed the glass back on the table and looked at me with those large round black innocent eyes of his. His baby cheeks had regained much of their colour.

I gave him a bright smile and wiped the brown patches of chocolate off the sides of his mouth.

"Thank you," he said with a silly smile.

I wanted to ask him as to what happened with Devon but didn't know whether it'd be a good thing to do. But I asked anyway with caution.

"I don't know...." Jackson trailed off. "I went to Devon to ask him if he would play with me. But he got very angry and...and pushed me away..."

"But why would he do that?" I asked, shocked.

"I don't know...It is not the first time he's been like that to me..." said Jackson quietly.

Yeah I know. How can I forget the first time when I witnessed Devon behave abrasively with his kid brother and frightening him completely? And then I'd even eavesdropped their conversation...

"Um, did I tell you anytime about the letter thing?" asked Jackson, scratching his head doubtfully.

"What letter?" I asked with curiosity.

"Devon was reading some handwritten paper when I went to him," said Jackson, placing his hands one over the other flat on the table and resting his little chin on them. With his gazes lowered, he continued, "There was an empty envelope kept beside his hand so I guess the paper is some kind of a letter that he had taken out to read. I've often see him reading that thing before too. And after reading that letter, Devon....Devon always changes....in-in a bad way...."

Jackson looked sad and uncertain. I felt uneasiness at the pit of my stomach.

"I'm sorry Jackson....I shouldn't have asked..." I apologized.

"It's okay," he said, assuring me. "I am feeling good that I shared it with you."

I smiled fondly.

So apparently Devon becomes this cold and hostile guy after reading a certain letter? Then he loses control over himself and vents out all of the anger out on an innocent five year old kid? And when he calms down, he apologizes profusely to the kid.

That's the cycle.

And sure enough, when Jackson and I left the café, we came face to face with a weary looking Devon. He took a step towards Jackson but the child hid behind me. I didn't know what to do.

"Jackson...." Devon trailed off sadly, trying to catch a glimpse of the kid.

But Jackson didn't move behind me. It was such a difficult situation. I wanted to help out but I'd no right to speak between them.

"Jackson, buddy, please listen to me!" Devon called out, sounding remorseful and even falling to his knees.

But the little boy still made no movement.

"Jackson please, please buddy!" Devon implored once more, trying to catch a view of him.

It was then that Jackson moved out from behind me, took a couple of steps towards Devon and stood in front of him. I felt a rush of relief flood my veins.