Chapter 18: Secrets

Tris' POV

I hurriedly run back inside our house, carefully closing the door. My heart was pumping loudly in my chest. I tiptoed up to my room and locked my door. I peered into Four's window only to realize he wasn't there.

I wonder who pounded at the door earlier. but whoever that was it certainly made him so nervous. His eyes were full of concern and nervousness. He looks... afraid.

My thoughts were interrupted by a deep, low scream. Shit. I know it's him. My heart rate began to increase again. What the hell is happening? The sound of leather hitting skin fills my ear, made my heart pound faster. I better go check up on him.

I run down the stairs and rush out of the house. I climb up the tree near Four's room which he made me climb down.earlier and slowly slip into his room, not making any sound.

Four's stifled screams and pained groans continue to fill my ears. His room is also on the second floor so i have to go down the stairs to get to the living room which I think where Four is...

"You worthless piece of shit!" I hear a low harsh voice booms throughout the room, followed by what seems like a belt hitting the skin. Who was that? I hear Four's low pained screams again which sent shivers down my spine.

"You never deserve to live. No one will ever love you." The voice spits out again. I swear I have heard that voice before. It's overly familiar.

I peek through the living room carefully not to make anyone notice me. That's when I see Four crouching on his small pool of blood. I gasp at the sight of him but I immediately covered my mouth with my hand to not make any noise.

"Clean this fucking mess up." The man said then went to a room down the hall and slammed the door shut. I wait for a few seconds then rushed to Four's side.

"Hey. Shit, Four what the hell was that?!" I whisper/ yell at him, who is still crouching down the floor.

"T-Tris?" He mumbles weakly.

"Yeah... It's me. F-Four.. W-what happened?? Who was that? Why did he do this to you???" I asked.

He tried stand up on his own but fails.

"Not here, Tris. He'll find out you're here. L-Lets go to my room, okay?" He said and I nod. I had to help him climb up the stairs towards his room because he was limping as hell. We get into his room and I lock the door behind us.

"Do you have any first aid kit here?" I ask.

"Yeah. In the bathroom." He said.

I hurriedly walk there and open a few drawers until i see the first aid kit. I cleaned up his back first and put some bandages on it.

"Thank you, Tris." He said and gives me a weak smile.

"No problem, Four." I say. Then his face falls slightly.

"Dont call me that." He said. What?

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Don't call me Four."

"Why? What should I call you then?"

"Nothing yet."

"Ummm okay, nothing yet." I say sarcastically and he rolls his eyes playfully. "Who was that?"

"You have to promise me first not to tell anyone. Just keep it a secret, okay?" He said, looking at me dead in the eye.

"Yeah. I promise."

"That was my dad. Marcus. I don't even know if he deserves to be called a dad. He's a bastard." He said, and I feel him tense up.

"Y-Your dad? Why was he doing it anyway?"

"He has been doing it for as long as I can remember. Ever since my mom died, he just beat the shit outta me."

I looked shocked for a few seconds, trying to take in all that he said.

"I'm sorry. He doesn't deserve to be your dad. " I say. He just stays silent, and after a while, he speaks up.

"Why aren't you looking at me like that, Tris?" He said.

"Like what?"

"You know.. Like i'm a kicked puppy or something."

"You're not. You're strong. I know you don't need anyone's pity and they also don't have a reason to pity you. You've been through a lot and you still show up and stand up strong. That's good enough." I say and he smiles. For real, this time.

I was interrupted my the sound of my phone in my pocket recieving a message.

'Where are you?' -Caleb

"I have to go. Caleb's looking for me. I'll see you tomorrow?" I say.

"Yeah. Thanks." He said and I head to climb down his window.

"Oh and Tris," He said smiling. "Call me Tobias."

I smile. "See you tomorrow, Tobias."