Chapter 16

From the root of all manly greed sprouts nothing but further chaos. Sometimes one wonders if Mankind is an odious lover of dilemma or a species that never ceases to makes the same mistakes. They bend and they break. As sutbly as sticks snapped by stones. Do these humans ever learn? Is the biggest ambiguity of all time.

Maybe this is a rhetoric never to be explained nor understood. Perhaps it is just there for all to ponder on. Only if such minds had the time to wonder at such.

For our characters, Time stood still but then Time ran along as well. Like a cyclic calm that never seemed to move but apparently did just that.

Could the same be said for Basil? Or for the endeavouring Charles?

A bright and somewhat dismal March greeted them with equanimity. Though it was unable to diffuse such normality for their Sunday was quite a day indeed.

At least in the case of Basil.

"Shut the fuck up and just tell me what he did!"

"Alright, alright, Basil. Take it easy man! Your Pa can come later."

I grumbled, "No, he can't. At least he is much preferred than you."

"Damn Basil, you make me sound like I'm a diesease."

"Glad you found out."

He ruffled his hair in pure exasperation. This man before me is none other than the despised, wretched Smithy. Alcohol dealer and owner of a delectable pub according to the geezer's preference.

If nothing else, at least he doesn't pick up women. Or I would have officially disowned myself of being his son.

Why was he so irritated? Well then, it was because stubborn gracious me had ardently refused to increase the deposit of that old man's expenses. I know he indulges in the most blasted expensive ones there are but I have that money for Molly.

Not for his alcoholic whims.

"Now listen here you!" He stomped towards me till we were inches apart.

"I got this joint to run and your either gonna pay up or your Pa should kiss these bottles bye bye!" He screamed. I had no idea the popping veins on the forehead actually happened.

New discovery of the day.

"I'd be more than happy if he did do that. But sadly, that's his oxygen." I said blandly.

He took a deep breath and looked at me. We both know his business ain't going as well the expenses were way more than the income he was getting.

"You need the money and I need the booze. It's either something or nothing at all." I shook the hefty lump of greens in front of him.

After what seemed like a bitterly long silence, he grumbled a defeated "fine". I tossed the money on the table.

Now to go get that geezer from the backrooms.

"He's in number 4 to the left in the hall!"

The same room as always. Next time I'd know the Old man might actually start living here. Probably does for most of his miserable life.

Alas, the geezer had long since scooted. The mess he left is enough to tell he was not alone.

I kicked at the table, sending the entire glassware crashing to the floor.

That fucking old man! That stinking, bleeding low life of a wretch! If he's doing anything remotely indecent I swear I'll never see his face again. Not the most charming thing to behold and wouldn't I be glad as hell when I would get rid of it.