Chapter 2

Never had the sun seemed lacking of warmth. Never, had the embarking of the new day seemed so dismal, so lacking of expectation. What was there to look forward to? I took the few steps away from the edge of the crossing, another step and it would have been goodbye to this day. This was not meant to be mine, this bright, bright morning which could have been like any other with my love.

It has been two weeks since I haven't gone home. Two weeks since I haven't been absorbed in my work or in the happy abode of my household.

Happy abode? That time seems like a fairytale now; so distinctly marked in the mind yet so unreachable. Unable to grasp the warmth those moments once held me in.

I wonder what had I done to have things end up this way? What a pitiful end my family has endured. I turn the events of that day in my mind countless times, trying to fathom what had gone wrong, what had I neglected, what I had forgotten, what I should have done but didn't that led to such a tragedy.

Two weeks earlier; the First of February.

In the early hours, before the break of dawn, I'm wide awake with restless excitement for the upcoming day like a little school kid. Margaret's well awake, entangled in a constant war fought with endearing kisses and annoying probes. It had been a while since we had this 'sacred' time to ourselves, Molly was fast asleep in her own little room this being the first week since she accomplished sleeping on her own. An achievement of mine and I've baked Margaret's ears about it till she snapped.

Right now, it was far from that, silence is witness to our amatory underneath the suffocating bed sheets. I thought it would be a playful kiss or two but no, I am surprised by my lady as always.

At times like these, Margaret became awfully quiet, gentle and unusually expressive. I'm waiting for her to complain about giving the loving a rest but she didn't. Neither did I; but then I'm always really to indulge, Margaret's the one that keeps our wild in check. Not always though, like a cue from her is all I need.

"Margaret? What's gotten into you?"

"Oh, just celebrating your success what else?" She always had that cheerful way of chirping, almost never a moment of sobriety. One of the many things I love about her.

"So sure of this aren't we?"

"Of course, is there anything my man can't do?"

I laugh, "why can't you just say you're happy not to have the daily night interruptions?"

"The delight of our lives called an interruption. Basil Landsborough I disown you."

"I know you don't mean it," I say silkily.

A bubble of laughter is all I get for an answer, making me anxiously hold her hands and say, "say you don't."

I meant it jokingly but, right then, her wondrous eyes held a strange gleam, silencing me. A lump grows in my throat and I question myself if and how I manage to poke a sore spot.

"Go to sleep, Basil. You've got a big day tomorrow."

That brings an end to our nightlife fun. The rest of the night I'm awake and churning ruthlessly all sorts of possibilities of what made my darling's switch flip so suddenly. The one-eighty degree flip got me good, I wonder if its the payback for annoying her. Mars tends to play the meanest tricks but always with a promise of the sweetest retribution.

Nevertheless, the night's weary and by morning all seems good. Margaret's mood is alright but just a little silent, a little hesitant and reserve. Molly's gotten all her attention for now, I can hear them both whispering right now, probably some little school girl secrets that she has Mommy to confide in. Makes me a little jealous but, what can I say, a man can't possibly understand girlish problems, he only has the mind and heart to understand the beholder of his heart. Even if not entirely but he'll doggishly devote himself to being the best he can.