Chapter 14

Charles stared into the blank darkness ahead of him. His eyes wandered aimlessly, trying their best to grasp onto a solution to his inner conflicts. He delves in his inner torments. Cringes at his daftness. Charles couldn't help but sneer at his own lack of comprehension; in what right mind was he to call himself Basil's chum when all he had done so far is label him with dastardly deeds?

Was this an indication that his friendship had such a narrow range of understanding? Or was he the one who had seen everything from an entirely different angle when everything was in the contrary?

Such mind boggling thoughts wreck havoc on the dishevelled Charles. What else was he to do? Basil had unknowingly became the pivot of his existence. Second only to his ardent passion of enforcing law, he only cared about his chum. His reason, 'he's all I've got to keep me down to earth.'

Basil had long since collapsed into the furrows of his bed. He had instantly fallen asleep for his energies had been entirely wasted. Though their rejuvenation was never to be till completion. For he hadn't had the luxury of being so energized. The angstrom for his beloved pinned him endlessly. His search being futile every single day, he became more and more fustrated. The cause of which was, as he wrongfully assumed, his lacklustre attempts. No matter what he did, the result was the same. It puts him in a frenzy of no known bounds. Erupting on Charles had done nothing to alleviate the storm that raged within him. A celestial torrent that reigned over him; maddening him with its mocking screeches.

What was to be said that he would have a peaceful time in the night? Even in his slumber, he was not to be spared. The damning dreams of monotonous grey enshrouded him every single night. Their static motion eerily maddening him. For its lack of momentum told him one thing; he had not moved an inch from where he was before. Time had moved but he had not. Time had left him behind in the cruelty of his circumstances.

But what was time to do? Time was to do what it was bidden to do; to move without being moved. To pace without being induced to quicken.

The night being weary for both; Time had gracefully enfolded the heavy night to the crack of dawn that welcomed a brand new day. But for our protagonists such a day was deemed as nothing lesser than a damnation.

How long had I been awake? How long has it been for me being this way? For what period of time had I been statically fallen in this manner? Dumped and forgotten, I remain lost in my head.

Seeing the rays of light creep into the room meant the sun had finally awoken from its slumber.

Had I really been awake the entire time? Or was I asleep with my mind wide awake?

How am I supposed to know?

I know nothing.

My muscles ached as I tried to get up.
Fuck it. This was but a temporary sensation. It would go away.

Everything does, eventually.

Haven't I just made a habit of sleeping in slouched despondency? If I had really slept and just dreamt the entire epidemic...

I'm quite sure whatever happened was all too real to be a dream. His vicious grip on my neck was still felt. Those coal black eyes had managed to shine their wrath even in the dark of the night.

This was not what I had expected in the least. What I had predicated was far more pleasent than what I had been given.

Was my insinuation really of such a depth to rattle him to such vehemence?

I had but said the simplest words with the purest intention of worry. Were they really incriminating? I had not felt they were of such a nature in the least.