Chapter 9

"Damn imbeciles! Can't even tell the bloody difference between murder and suicide." Basil lifted his head from his hands, his coal black eyes were swollen from weeping. His face looked emaciated. Looking at him now, I realized that the past was eating him from the inside. His eyes seemed to have sunken in. He even looked deprived from sleep by the amount of dark circles under his eyes.

Only those physical features of his gave away any signs of weakness. Impeccably dressed as ever and his boyish black hair sprouting haphazardly from every angle. If only he got rid of those marks, he'd looked more of twenty two then a withering thirty-three old man. Time has been rather cruel to my friend.

He stared at me with those steely eyes of his. So he isn't giving up? That's one of Basil's strengths I admired alot. No matter what, he'd never let the other person know what he is going through. And neither would he stop struggling.

How do I know? Well, we had been buddies since our middle school. I could just tell how he felt; just by a minor sweep of my eyes.

We both held one another's gazes for quite some time. I didn't want him to feel he was alone. I am with him through thick and thin. Haven't we always? What's so different about now?

"I'd be very happy if I bit that bobby's head off," Basil said grudgingly. I couldn't help stifling a giggle and I'm afraid I failed to mask my amusement. He still maintained that defensive look about him.

"I didn't but then I did. Now what to do with the likes of me?" Let's see what does he have to say to that.

"I'll make you smell dirt." he replied curtly.

"Basil!" I exclaimed in horror. Of all the things! Bury me alive!

"I'd relish the moment when you'd beg for mercy in that eloquent fashion of yours," he sneered.

I don't know what to say. I'm -- flabbergasted! I'd been expecting a word of appreciation. Some gratitude. A pat on the back wouldn't be so bad as this!

I believe he saw the look of dumbstruck amazement on my face for he a cocky smile slowly crept up on his contenance.

But one thing I'm rather glad of is that he hadn't run away. Well. That's a first step towards progress I suppose. Better have something then nothing!

Basil had a bland expression but from his rigid posture I could tell he wanted to get down to business.

And so he did. "I think I told you I'm finally arranging the funeral of Margeret's on the twenty-ninth. The cards would be printed by tomorrow. I'd sent it to you by post. I'd-" he seemed rather hesitant to continue further.

"-would appreciate my supportive presence during that interval. Why not, chum." I completed it for him.

"As a social obligation." Basil corrected. Say what you want. I know.

"Stop smiling like a lovestruck highschool girl! It'll put funny ideas in other thickheads like you." Basil snapped. Did I really smile the entire time?

"Let their wildest imaginations wreck havoc! I'm the least pushed."

"Your no dear to me to make me turn my reputation into shit!" I saw his eyebrows furrow in irritation as my smile involuntarily broadened. I couldn't help myself. It's such a reflexive action! I rather think he's more amusing this way.

Anyways, I should sober up and vouch for the risky task at hand. To get him to live with me again. I can see he isn't exactly taking care of himself at all and god knows how's he even living till now.

"I won't live with you if that's what your planning to do." Basil said. Ah! Am I that readable?

"But Basil! Just look at yourself for once in the mirror! Your s-"