Chapter Twenty-Three

Fridays usually last forever because they are the last day before the weekend. The last full day of work before freedom. But my Friday flies by faster than a jet on a runway.

Lunch I spent with Lake and Holly, per usual. Today, the topic of our lunch hour just happened to be the wedding. It's all anyone in my social group seems to be talking about.

"So, I assume you're going to the wedding," Holly states as Louis joins the table, sitting to my right. She fixes her sandwich before biting into it and looking at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Yeah, that's correct."

"Ah, speaking of the wedding. Do you think they'll allow Tom in?" Lake speaks up, not letting Holly answer.

"Tom?" I ask, then catch sight of the snake draped loosely around his neck. I'd totally forgotten about his harmless, yet still scary buddy. I hadn't necessarily gotten used to Tom, instead I had purposely chosen not to sit by him. "Oh yeah. The snake."

Holly glances over at Tom and Lake, shaking her head. "I'm almost completely positive that Anne would never allow you to bring a snake to her wedding. Even Tom."

Lake frowns and reaches up to pet the snake, making me flinch even though I've come to learn that the snake is very calm and relatively harmless. "Ah, that sucks. She seems quite fond of me. I thought maybe I could persuade her."

"Yeah," Holly starts, "but she's not going to be the only one at that wedding. I don't think very many of the guests would appreciate it if you set a snake loose."

"I've got a leash," Lake suggests, looking thoughtful.

Holly rolls her eyes and lifts her drink. "How did you-- You know what? I don't even want to know."

Louis speaks up for the first time, "Yeah, well, Liana is going to keep me company, so of course she's going."

"Yeah, Louis," I snort, giving him a nudge to the elbow, "That's the only reason I'm going. Not to be supportive of Anne or anything."

"Woah"Louis responds, holding his hands up near his head in a gesture of surrender. "You're laying the sarcasm down thick right there."

I roll my eyes but still smile to let him know that I'm joking. He grins at me, but not for long. We are interrupted by Holly. "Well, it's great that you're going. I'm bringing Lake as my plus one, even though he was invited too. So our whole group should be there."

I nod and start to respond, but Louis beats me to it. A little chatter box, he is. "Well, that's perfect. Maybe you could just go with me then, Liana."

I glance at him. Even though his offer sounded more like a statement, his eyebrows are furrowed and his lips are puckered as he waits for my response, more like he meant it as I question.

I send him a small smirk. "Sure, that'd be lovely. Actually, it'd be better that way, because I don't want to have to be stuck with Harry. I don't even know where the wedding is taking place."

"Well that settles it, then! I know where it is. I can pick you up and take us over." Louis responds with a relieved grin.

Holly rolls her eyes from my other side and finishes off her sandwich. "Smooth, Tomlinson."

Louis flips her off, but still grins. "Shut your mouth, Tomlinson."

Oh boy.

* * * * *

I huff and swipe at my brow where my forehead had started to get damp from sweat. Packing is a lot of work. And with my extremely unhealthy habit of overpacking (more than anyone else I've ever known), my energy had all been spent trying to fit a crap load of clothes into one suitcase.