"I hope that you didn't wear this. This is so unprofessional."

"I didn't." I kiss her on the lips quickly, before getting up from between her legs. "You cooked?"

"No. I'm sorry. I've been sleep for most of the day."

I turn around and look at her as I head to the kitchen. Mel is getting off the couch, holding onto her stomach. I clear my throat as I walk into the kitchen. I had hoped that she maybe cooked something. She knew that I would be gone for most of the day. I open the refrigerator, squinting my eyes as I look inside. Mel puts her arms around me from behind.

"I'm sorry, baby. You want to order something?"

No. I think to myself. We can't afford to order food. I would have to listen to my father lecture me about how I take advantage of the fact that him and my mother are taking care of me. I shake my head no and open up the freezer. I pull out some hamburger patties and toss them to the side on the counter. I turn around in Mel's arms, and she is looking up at me with apologetic eyes. I force a smile and kiss her on the forehead.

"I'll cook something. Rest." I tell her.

Mel doesn't budge as she continues to eye me. "Are you mad at me?"

Just a little annoyed that I could be gone all day and all she's been doing is sleeping. I don't want Mel to get a job, or have to worry about the shit that I agree to carry on my shoulders. I do expect for her to keep our place clean and cook me meals. That's it. Looking into her eyes, I can't explain my true feelings to her. I don't want to hurt her feelings about how I feel about the subject. She'll probably feel like I'm attacking her and it will start an argument that we don't need.

"We're good." I lie to her. "Lay down and put a movie on. I'll be there in a minute to lay with you."

Mel loosens her arms around me and gives me a tight smile. She finally releases me and walks over to the ground beef and turn the faucet on. I watch her put the meat underneath the faucet.

"I'll cook. You relax. I dropped the ball. I'm sorry." She leans against the sink, focusing on me.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, go."

She smiles at me, pushing me from in front of the refrigerator. "Baby, do you want me to cut up some potatoes to go with the burgers?"

"I'll take care of the potatoes."

She hands me three potatoes out of the refrigerator. I set the potatoes on the counter, and I move around the kitchen, grabbing the cutting board and a sharp knife. Mel stands in front of the sink, washing her hands. I stand behind her to wash my hands. Mel peeks up at me, and whatever anger or annoying feelings I felt vanish into thin air.

*****

My phone ringing instantly wakes me up. I glance at the screen, wondering who would be calling me late at night. Mel shifts in her sleep a little and moves closer to me, pressing her lips against my chest.

I clear my throat, before answering the call. "Hey, Ker. What's up?"

"Do you think that Terrance would propose to me just to cheat on me?" She sounds like she's been crying.

Kerri has been in Florida for a couple days already. She's been a nervous wreck about doing the long distance thing with Terrance. I don't know all what's going on with Terrance, but I know that he has deep feelings for her. I also know that he wouldn't waste his time asking her to marry him, if he weren't ready to settle down with her.

I gently push Mel off me and climb out the bed. I don't want to wake her up, because she needs her sleep. I figure the more she sleep at night, the less naps she will take throughout the day. I understand that she's five months pregnant and each day that she carries the baby, it's taking energy away from her. I just don't want my baby to get too lazy.