7. Protection Detail

~Jazmine~

I cross my arms and cock out a hip, leaning against the door frame awaiting for the Suburban to pull in. I glance out the corner of my eye at the wolf hidden behind bushes in the woods. I lightly smile then return my gaze to the driveway. I pull out my phone with an overdramatic eye roll and scroll through countless messages. I lock my phone and put it back into the pocket of my skinny jeans. Not even the slightest movement from the driveway or the woods, Jacob still trying not to be detected by anyone that could show up with them. I shut the door and walk over to the rusty wolf. I rest my head against his and run a hand through his fur, which is suprisingly soft. The Suburban starts into the driveway and I lightly kiss the top of Jake's head before running to the porch. Mo shuts the car of and gets out, along with Megan and Gerard. I fake a smile almost flawlessly.

"You're back!" I beam. Gerard raises his eyebrows before he flicks his head toward the woods. My heart jumps and I slowly move toward the woods.

"Dad, there's something we should tell you." Megan says placing a hand on his shoulder just before he draws out a gun. My heart pounds against my chest.

"I'm sure that it can wait." He states aiming the gun almost exactly where Jake is.

"Dad, you need to know now." Mo looks at me worriedly. Gerard cocks the gun and my eyes change and almost instantly I'm standing in front of Jacob, with a pistol aiming toward me. My hand clasped on the barrel.

"Drop the gun." I order, speaking from instinct.

"Megan, I think you need to learn how to control your daughter." He says.

"She's in command now, we gave her full authority." Megan states.

"She is still my granddaughter." His face gets a strange look once he notices my eyes.

"It doesn't matter, code has changed." Mo steps forward. My eyes continue to glow, but darken in color. "And what your doing is highly against it."

"The code has stayed the same for centuries, we hunt those who hunt us." His finger rests on the trigger. I bend the gun back, causing his wrist to follow, but not far enough for it to break.

"We protect those who cannot protect themselves." I state. Gerard scoffs.

"Well, he seems perfectly fine of protecting himself." Gerard says, infuriating me. I turn the gun around on him and aim it toward his head.

"Not when a wolfbane infused bullet is aimed at his head." I growl.

"You can't stop her dad, or hunt unless she gives the command." Mo states.

"You two idiots out a teenage girl in command!" He booms. "No wonder Christopher is dead!"

"He died before she was in command!" Mo yells. "He broke code! He'd been doing it for years!"

"No son of mine has ever broke code." Gerard sneers.

"Yeah, well Christopher did." I lightly smirk.

"You allow her to address her father by his first name?" Gerard seems to grow more and more angry.

"She addresses us all by first name." Megan states.

"Is that so?" Gerard turns back to face me.

"So it is, Gerard, and mind you, you are here to help, and now under my command, you follow my code or face the consequences. That's final." I unload the gun and toss it to him. My eyes return to brown and I glance over my shoulder at Jacob, who nods. I smile and nod back. He shifts back, clothes still in tact, including his shirt, which is extremely rare. I slip my tiny fingers through his and he moves beside me, lightly squeezing my hand. "Do I make myself clear?"

"What you have done, Jazmine, will start a war. Changing code is possibly the worst thing you could've done. I have no choice but to stand beside you, that does not mean I'm okay with it. It means I'm willing to do it to survive."

• • •

I slide my window open and lips crash against mine. I hum with pleasure and smile. I step back and he climbs through the window. We kiss again and I slide the window shut. His hands rest slightly below my waist and mine cup his face as we kiss again. We slowly pull back as footsteps approach, getting loud. They stop when they get outside my door. My door slowly opens and I grab my bow, drawing it back. Mo appears and we both lower our weapons.

"I thought I heard someone?" She whispers. I shake my head.

"Just me, I went out onto the roof." I reply keeping my voice low. She nods.

"Jake's here isn't he?" She asks.

"Like I said, it's just me." I set my bow on my desk.

"He's here. If not inside he's at least out on the roof or in the woods. There's no way that he'd leave you unprotected especially with that leech after you." Mo narrows her eyes. "As long as your safe and get enough sleep to train, I don't care. Unless you get pregnant, then I will kick both of your asses."

"Mo! No! You don't have to worry about that! God! I'm not-no!" I whisper yell.

"Get some rest." She smirks walking out and closing my door back. I slightly groan and lean on my desk with my arms supporting me. Jake lightly chuckles and wraps his arms around my waist. He leans his head toward my ear.

"That was fun." He whispers. I roll my eyes and lightly shake my head.

"Tomorrow won't be, if Gerard didn't come things would be so much easier." I sigh. Jake kisses my cheek before spinning me around.

"We'll get through this." He caresses my cheek and gazes into my eyes.

"Really? Jake you have to help Bella, and me at the same time and honestly this isn't going to work very well if you're always running back and forth. I think those dumb bloodsuckers can handle it themselves." I snap. His eyebrows slightly furrow.

"There's something else is there?" Jake asks carrying me to the bed. I lay back and stare at the ceiling. "Jaz, what else is bothering you?"

"Nothing." I slightly growl.

"It's Bella isn't it?" He places his hand on my leg. I roll over and bury my face in the pillow. "Jazmine, she's nothing. If it didn't affect Charlie I wouldn't be doing it. I'd be with you every second, regardless of Gerard. We'd go and sit on the beach and ignore everything. This stupid little protection detail for Bella means nothing." I bite my lip. "Don't you get that you're the only one I see?" I grab his hand and he slides up further onto the bed. I roll on my side and slip my fingers through his.

"Really?" He nods.

"Really."