Chapter 13: Daegu's Prodigy

{WARNING: A very Hana-centric chapter}

. . .

Hwang Hana was someone who used to hold the title:

Daegu's Prodigy.

Her parents would say that the moment the Daegu-born girl could walk, she was already out and about playing every sport there was to offer. Basketball, softball, tennis, you name it. Hana probably had tried it one time or another. It seemed like magic, in the way how the young girl could adapt to the sport so quickly. Physically inclined, sharp minded, and had the never-ending motivation, it was no wonder that the girl excelled in every sport she tried. However, it wasn't until the age of 10 when she found her passion in volleyball.

Something about the sport enticed Hana. Whether it be the concept of teamwork or to be as ruthless as possible on the court, she ended up falling in love with every single detail of volleyball. And so, her life began revolving around the lone sport, forgetting every other sport in the dust and forgotten. She dreamed of it. She lived it. She breathed it. Her love only grew greater lengths with every passing year.

By the time she was 14, she had gained all the attention of Daegu with her extraordinary volleyball skills. For someone so young, she already possessed the expert abilities of a college student. And so, it wasn't a surprise when the girl was showered with offers, scholarships, and other great opportunities from scouts all over South Korea. Many have claimed to have a guaranteed spot on their top-notch volleyball teams if she were to choose them.

It wasn't until a year later she had met Seon Moon Hi.

The older woman was known to once being a part of the national women's volleyball team, wowing people with her undeniable talent in setting balls to the other spots with absolute precision. She then grew up to be the coach of the very team, leading them through victory after victory. Its been rumored that the female coach could whip up anyone into shape when she so desired. Even if practices were grueling and that she can be a strict woman at times, she was the best of the best.

Seon Moon Hi was always known for scouting most talented volleyball players, and so, she had approached Hana at the volleyball competition. Granted, Hana was every ounce of surprised at the appearance of the unexpected visitor.

Why?

Hana's team ended up losing national finals that day due to sudden complications in their teamwork.

The loss didn't refrain Coach Seon from walking up to the girl after the crucial game.

And the coach had told her this:

"You were outstanding out there, so I'm going to give you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I have a favor to ask of you first. I still see a flaw in your play, this sport isn't something you can win alone. Make sure you understand every one of your teammates and their positions. You need to be in sync with everyone on the court, as well as the opposing team."

At first, Hana had thought this was absurd. She had done so well doing what she had been doing for all these years. Shouldn't it be her teammates trying to understand her and her skills? Why was this woman telling her something else?

Coach Seon continued, "So in a year, I'll come back and if I see a change in your gameplay, then I'll invite you to be a part of my team. It's your choice whether to fix the problem or not, but I believe you can do it. I don't usually meet someone personally if I don't see the talent within them. I want you on my team, Hwang Hana, and I apologize that my offer isn't the best out of all you were probably already offered but I promise that I will make you one of the best players in the nation. A spiker like you would be a great addition to my team."