Chapter 2: Cue in Mister Sunshine

{A/n: Kim Soo Hyun as Seon Young Gi  (^^) }

...

"Who the hell is ray of sunshine?" Young Gi spat, the irritation obvious in his tone.

The two young adults had finished the day's English lesson to the sick children. Now that they were free, they decided to go to the nearby noodle house. Their conversation ever since they left the hospital was only on one thing, and the male wasn't pleased one bit by any of it.

"Did you hook up with a guy? What's the story here?" he ranted on, the steamy noodles left untouched in front of him.

While Young Gi was in a frantic state, Dalnim couldn't have felt more at ease, or at least, right at the moment she was calmer than before. She slurped onto her noodles as if it'd be her last meal, but that's just how she usually scarfs down food. Once gulping down, she pestered her friend, "Oi, your noodles are going to get cold if you leave it there."

Young Gi glowered at the bowl and averted his annoyed gaze back at the girl. "Don't change the subject on me. Who's that flirtatious bastard?"

Dalnim laughed in response. "That flirtatious bastard was my childhood friend, Sunny. His parents were friends with mine long before we were both born. And he wasn't being flirtatious, that's just how he is."

Young Gi's stomach may be empty but his guts churned at the current situation. He didn't like how effortless it had been for the girl to be swayed. "Dalnim, how could you trust that number so easily, what if he's some stalker? And besides, what kind of weird name is Sunny?"

The raven-haired girl set her chopsticks down and stared at him intently. Young Gi's heart skipped at the intense gaze and jolted when Dalnim held up one finger. "First of all, Sunny was the nickname I gave him when we were like six. Because he was a bright and optimistic kid, I thought the English word fit him and it stuck ever since."

She held two fingers up. "Secondly, he was the ray of sunshine while I was the moonlight. Since my name was after the moon goddess, that's how we were. It was our own inside joke."

Three fingers. "And so lastly, it'd be impossible for a stranger to know that about me. It has to be Sunny who texted me. To add on to that, my sister wouldn't give away my number to just some bum," Dalnim finished off. She gave Young Gi a pleased grin and continued eating.

He only blankly stared back her. Ok, the facts were all pointing towards to the childhood friend theory, but a person can never be so sure. "Alright, so why now did he message you? If you claim how good friends you two were, why haven't you heard from him in years?"

Dalnim frowned as she thought back on the memory. They were both in high school together, but by that time, they were already distant. Completely unintentional. Dalnim became too busy with volleyball and her studies while Sunny started to focus on a music career. Before she knew it, he was going away to achieve his lifelong dream. As sad as the day was when they parted, Dalnim understood. They were both trying to reach their goal and she had no obligations to be in the way of that.

The two had tried to keep in touch while separated but as years trudged on and senior year of high school came around for Dalnim, all kind of contact had ceased. They were both so unbelievably busy. And soon enough, their friendship had been forgotten.

By that time, Dalnim's old phone had been passed down to her sister, Ha Neul. It made sense that Sunny had sent a message to her old phone before getting to her recent number.