Chapter 11: Happy New Year

The Christmas holiday ended on a bittersweet note. After the brunch at the Park home, it was about time Chanyeol had to head back for his idol duties. At that moment, a split-second thought, Dalnim nearly jumped into that car with him to get that last hour of the car ride to be together. But, she refrained from doing so, since she had promised to stay with her family for the rest of Christmas.

With kiss on the cheek and the reassurance that he will call her the moment he reaches his destination, Dalnim had said her goodbyes to him, along with her family and his. Once the car had disappeared around the corner of the street, Ha Neul and Yoora didn't let Dalnim rest with the sickeningly sweet gestures she had shared with the idol only moments. But, honestly, she didn't mind one bit of the jabs, because this only further made things more real to her, that her relationship with Park Chaneyol was official, or will be official once his company allows him and the boys to finally date by the New Year.

Nonetheless, the rest of her Christmas was still enjoyable and she was able to catch up with everyone about anything she missed since the last time she's seen them, along with the accompaniment of delicious desserts and hot chocolate. A warm and cozy day, and Dalnim couldn't be more thankful that she was able to share it with people she treasures the most.

The next day, she took a cab ride back to her apartment.

And instantly, her life went back to the norm.

Volleyball practices came back with full force, and since Dalnim had been eating as much as she could for the holidays (Thanks a lot mom and dad), getting back into her training regimen was a little harder than usual. Dalnim trudged on, her determination to get back on the roll of things. It didn't take Dalnim too long until she's back into running eight mile runs in the morning, her fifty crunches and push-ups, and other alternating exercises.

She had tried to call and message Young Gi for the past couple days. Her friend replied that the hospital had called him in from early to late, even on his free days, so he hadn't had the time to talk to her.

And it wasn't like she could visit him anyway, if he so claims he would be too busy for visits. Plus, her children were still out with their families for the holidays, so there wasn't a fair reason to go to Gold Hospital either which way.

That was fine, Dalnim completely understood. She told him to call her anytime and maybe once he has a minute or two, they can at least get some coffee. He said he would do that, but Dalnim could tell there must be something else going on with him. But all in due time, she knew that he would tell her whatever was bothering him.

Then came one day after volleyball practice, the day before the New Year.

Most of Dalnim's teammates had already showered and left the locker room for the day, as if to leave in a hurry. Dalnim didn't understand why, but she took her sweet time under the shower head, letting the heat of the water relax her stiff muscles.

She then overheard by the sinks not far off from the showers two girls, who she recognized were her dongsaengs, Tae Ri and Hye Rin, talking in excitement.

"Unnie, have you ever kissed someone on the New Year? Isn't that a tradition to do?" Hye Rin asked.

"Well, it's mostly an American custom, but I know some people who have done that before."

"I think it's romantic! I hope someone kisses me right on midnight."

"Wow, that's cheesy. Don't even count on it."

"Why? Don't you think Hana-unnie would invite some cute guys to her party?"

"I don't know. Do you think unnie would be the type to have attractive guy friends?"