Chapter 23

"Ma'am, sir we have a problem"
     I turned around. "What? What's wrong?"
"Um, there's no one in there"
     "The fuck do you mean no one's in there?!"
"I'm saying, he's gone"

Three Hours Earlier
      I was cleaning up the kitchen and the living room, just trying to straighten up. Eric was having a guys night out and I was at home alone.
      I told him it was ok and that he deserved a break because he had been working so much with the club and he need to unwind a bit.
       After cleaning, I went into the living room and started watching "Martin" for a bit. My eyelids started getting heavy and I slowly fell asleep.
      I was jolted awake by a noise. It sounded like something crashed. It was dark and the tv was off. I shook my head thinking that I was dreaming and checked the time.
       I had only been sleeping for an hour or so and it was already after eleven. I knew Eric would be home soon so I started to get up to head to bed. He had a key so I didn't have to unlock the door for him.
      As I was walking upstairs to our bedroom, I heard creaking, like someone was walking. I paused mid step and listen out again. I didn't hear anything so I continued my way to my bed.
      I heard it again and stop to listen. I turned back around and looked into the kitchen and did t see anything. I went to make sure all the doors were locked and the porch light was still on.
       I took a deep breath and turned to walk back to my room when I felt a blow come down in my face. I dropped to the ground in pain and grabbed my face.
      The lamp light turned on and I heard a voice that made my skin crawl. "You missed me?"
      I turned to see Jose sitting in the chair, looking rough, like he hadn't eating in days and hasn't taken a bath. He held a butcher knife in his hand and his eyes were wild and crazy like.
      My heart was beating fast but I tried to keep calm on the inside. "What are you doing here?"
      He was silent for a minute and just stared at me. I was becoming more and more nervous. I was here alone and Eric wasn't gonna be here for awhile.
       "How did you find me?"
       "I'll always find you, Gabriela"
   I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. "Jose, come on. Just put the knife down and we can talk".
      "How dare you leave me for that fucking black midget looking ass motherfucker. You're a disgrace."
       I got heated because he was talking about Eric. "Fuck you! Don't talk about him like that!"
      He reached over and punched me in the face and held the knife to my neck. "Who the fuck do you think your talking to, bitch?!"
       I had my head turned and tried not to breath to hard. "You hear me talking to you!"
      "I'm sorry"
      "You're sorry?! Ha"
   He laughed dementedly and got real close to my face. "I should kill you right now"
      I heard a noise but I didn't pay any attention to it and listen to Jose. "You ungrateful bitch. I loved you and you leave me for that nigga?!"
      "You didn't love me! You beat me like a animal in the street, you call that love?!"
       I saw Eric slowly approaching behind him and he put his finger to his lips and told me to be quiet.
       "I beat you because you didn't listen!! If you would have listen to me, I would have to hit you".
      As soon as the last words came out of his mouth, Eric took a flower vase and hit him over the head with it, knocking him out.
      I cried out in relief because I knew he was getting ready to stab me with that knife because I made him pissed with what I said.
       Eric wrapped his arms around me and I clung to him tightly. "Baby, you ok?"
      I nodded my head in his chest as tears rolled down my face. Eric pulled away to grabbed the phone and he came back, wrapping his arms around me and called 911.
      He told them what happened and dispatch told him they'll have someone out there in a matter of minutes.
      Eric held on to me and walked me to the front door and out of the house. We leaned against his car and waited for the police to come.
       Cop cars pulled up and a responding officer came up to us. "Are you guys ok?"
      Eric nodded. "Yeah, he's inside. I knocked him out with a face. He's lying in the living room floor".
      The officer nodded and motioned for three of the officers to follow him into the house as we talked to another officer.
      As he was getting our statement, a officer came over and approached us. "Ma'am, sir we have a problem".
      I turned around. "What? What's wrong?"
     "Um, there's no one in there"
     "The fuck do you mean no one's in there?!", Eric said
      "I'm saying he's gone"