The Infestation Begins

"So how do we kill a dragon that's protected by a unicorn with the ability to make anyone looking into her eyes insane? Oh, and throw in there that our only hope of killing the dragon is now burried under the mountain because Louis killed its brother."

Harry and the others looked at Liam like he was nuts, though Harry figured he deserved the moment of hysteria. He'd faced the mountain alone this whole time and had come face-to-face with both the golden one and the little girl.

"Well, as far as I know, there's nothing else on this mountain that could kill the golden one except maybe silver. But we can't ask her to fight," Rose said. Her voice left no room for argument.

That didn't stop Niall from trying. "But if she's a dragon as well, then why not?" Niall was standing beside his woman protectively. Apparently as a newly mated vamp male, he would be protective of her for several years before he could handle her being apart from him for longer than a few minutes.

Hours would probably take over a decade, according to Rose.

"Silver has a daughter she has to think about. Her little girl comes first," Emily said. "We can't ask silver to put herself in danger when her daughter could wind up unprotected and alone. Not that I'd ever leave baby Eyris alone, but I can't really take care of a baby dragon."

Harry hugged her close. She was wrapped in his arms, her back to his front, and he hadn't let her go since she'd saved them all from Louis.

At the thought of his best friend, Harry closed his eyes and burried his face in Emily's hair. Her scent was comforting, but it didn't stop the knowledge that Louis was out there, suffering alone.

"Can anything else fight the golden beast?" Zayn and Beth were holding hands. He seemed happy, even given their dire circumstances with the mountain and everything, and Harry was glad. Zayn had managed to stay alive with the cousins' help, and him and Beth had formed a bond that had quickly turned to love.

"Nothing we've ever seen," said Star. She was sitting back against the cave wall, her hazel eyes glued to the fire she and Beth had built with Zayn's help. "I think the twins were the only things that stood a chance against that beast. With only one twin left, I doubt he'll go after her for any reason. Especially to save us."

Rose nodded her agreement. "You're right on that last part. There's no way, without provocation, that the last twin would go after the golden one. But I don't know if that's the only thing that could kill the dragon."

"You think any of us would stand a chance?" Star looked at her with a frown.

"No, but I also don't think we're the only things on the mountian." Rose considered her words for a moment. "Actually, I think we are the only things on the mountian. But that's just the surface. From living with Evan and watching him for ten years, I'm thinking there's something else here."

"What do you mean?" Liam asked in a suspicious voice.

Harry held Emily tighter as he felt the now familiar rush Emily had explained to him earlier. She'd said it signaled his powers were reacting to his emotional state.

He felt a sensation not quite a burn, not quite an itch, at his forehead where his horn would appear if he let it. Emily had helped him get control of his powers earlier and taught him to make his horn disappear. To do so, he had to weaken his magical abilities by turning his powers against themselves. This caused some sort of disruption that made his horn disappear, though it wasn't a permanent thing.

He still hadn't turned into a unicorn, but Emily said not all unicorns could shift. She'd also admitted to never having heard of a male unicorn, but that wasn't much help since she hadn't grown up with these powers any more than he had.