The Mountain Dictates

Harry woke to the sound of something scratching something else. Like something was digging in the dirt with sharp claws...

His eyes flipped open as memories returned to him. The shadows on the curtains, everyone sleeping then waking when the thing passed by and killed the pilot, Cynthia's skeletal corpse on the ceiling, the thing in the hole in the wall...

"Harry!"

He looked around, trying to find the source of the voice."Over here! This way!" he shouted. Pushing into a sitting position, Harry looked at his legs.

"Harry!" Niall's voice was right behind him, and kept him from screaming more. His throat was already sore from screaming in the plane during the crash and stuff, now he just wanted a drink of water.

"My legs, Niall. My legs." He pointed to the hole in the ground he was half sticking out of. "I can't feel my legs, Niall!"

"Give me your hands, Harry. I'll pull you out." Niall's voice sounded way calmer than it should have, but Harry didn't care.

Laying back, Harry reached up for Niall and grabbed his friend's hands. Niall was stronger than he looked, Harry realized as his friend pulled him from beneath the wreckage. As soon as his legs were free, Niall released him and Harry pushed himself back into a sitting position.

"Can you move them at all?" Niall asked. Worry laced his voice.

Harry tried to move his legs. For long moments, nothing happened. Just as he was about to start panicking, his leg moved!

He groaned in relief, then pain. "My legs, Niall. It feels like they've been shredded from the inside out!"

Niall grimaced and looked around. "Keep it down, will you? We don't know if those things survived or where they are."

Understanding dawned, and Harry breathed deeply, getting himself under as much control as he could. "Okay, so we just survived a plane's crash landing nose first into the ground. What kind of freaky is that?"

"Oh, I don't know about freaky, but it's definitely not something I ever expected to do in this, or any, lifetime."

To distract himself from the crash, his legs, and the vague threat of those things coming back, Harry studied Niall. "Have you found any of the others?"

Niall shook his head. "No. I'm not even sure how we survived that crash. There's no way that should have been possible, but we're here and breathing. So..." He trailed off as a yowl echoed through the trees.

"What was that?" Harry asked quietly. If those things were back, he wanted to be a bazillion miles away from this place.

After a bit of silence, during which Niall studied the woods around them, he spoke. "We need to leave. Now." He looked down at harry. "Can you walk?"

"Yeah, I think so." Harry rolled over, bit back a cry as his legs protested, still feeling like they'd met Freddy Kruger, and jacked himself to his feet. "Where to now?" he forced through clenched teeth.

Niall grabbed his arm and began dragging him through trees. "If I remember right, rumor says that if you get in the open, those things won't follow you."

"So what, we learn to fly?" Harry snapped. He stumbed over a branch and muttered something about the living dead being a nuisance, but they weren't supposed to exist.

"These aren't the living dead, Harry," Niall replied in a dead voice.

Harry swallowed. "Then what are they?"

Niall looked back at him with fearful, but determined, eyes. "They're the dead living."

"Okay, now I'm confused. Isn't that the same thing?"