United at Last

Rose lifted the last boulder from the cave entrance and heaved it over the ring of trees. A second later, it landed with a thud some couple hundred yards away. "That's the last." She let out a breath and watched Emily enter the cave.

"He would have gone in deep. He's got unicorn in his blood: he'll keep his promise to me."

She grabbed Emily by the shoulder and pulled her to a stop. "You're staying topside. I'm not risking these tunnels collapsing down on us."

"But I can sense his presence. He'll be scared of you."

"He trusted me once before, to save his friend. Why not trust me this time, too?"

Emily glared at her sister, but gave in. "Fine. But if you're not back in two days, I'm coming in after you. Got it?"

Rose rolled her eyes. "And I'm supposed to stop you from following me at that point how?" Shaking her head, she pushed Emily out of the cave and went deeper alone.

"Oh unicorn! Boy with the green and blue eyes, and the magical horn sticking out of your head, where are you?" She chuckled at her own words. Her sister got irritated whenever Rose made fun of her horn, but Emily usually won those fights.

Getting shot in the chest with 10 amps of electricity by a superpowered horn was enough to make even a vampire listen to the cutest of people. It hurt and caused severe pain for days on end whenever her sister did that, but Rose still wound up making fun of her horn again a month or so later.

Life was nothing but cycles, was it not?

"Hey, unicorn boy! Where'd you go?" She followed the cave down, until she was sure she would run into a connection to the twins' tunnel systems under the mountain.

Eventually, she ran into the very back of the tunnel. No connections anywhere, no twins, no vampires.

No male unicorn with one green and one blue eye. Nope, just a bunch of rocks and stuff lying around.

She scowled as a thought came to her. Evan had loved keeping his secrets, and she had only looked into those she thought would keep her and Emily alive. What if he had secret tunnels connecting all his cave homes together?

He could have snuck in, grabbed her sister's mate, and run off with him without anyone being the wiser.

Fury rose inside her, and Rose used her speed to leave the cave.

Close to four hours to explore the whole thing on the way down. In seconds, she was back outside the cave, her sister seeming to react slowly due to her speeding mentality. "Okay, we're heading for Evan. This used to be his cave. We'll see if there's any connecting tunnels that he might have used to steal your male."

Emily nodded and they set off.

*** ***

Niall stood beneath the shade of an apple tree. He had been staring at the apple directly above his head for about an hour now, torn. The part of him that was still human wanted to eat it, thinking it was food and he was hungry.

The other part of him, the vampire, was hungry too, but all it saw was a solid object hanging from a branch. That apple meant nothing to that side of him, and Niall was still trying to adjust.

He continued to stare at the apple as the moon hung heavy in the sky. It was bright, an Evan had warned him the light of the full moon could hurt a vampire's sensitive eyes, so looking at it was a bad idea.

That hadn't stopped him the first time. After he'd been able to see again, Niall had positioned himself so that apple sat in front of the moon, taking its place in the sky, and he'd been watching it ever since.