Louis Learns

Author's Note

I apologize in advance for the EXTREME boring-ness of the chapter.

L8R!

*** *** ***

Louis wasn't sure where to start. He had so many questions, but his mouth could only ask one at a time and all of them wanted to be out first.

He was sitting on one side of the fire she'd built after putting her daughter to bed. She was sitting on the other, poking the fire with a stick. The motion was fluid and continuous. Louis found himself hypnotized by the movement after a while, his brain clearing until he could think again.

She finally put the stick down and wrapped her arms around her knees, which were loosely pulled up and made a triangle with the floor. "Where do you want to start?"

Louis shrugged. "No idea. Ten thousand questions-"

"And each wants to be the first one out, right?" She nodded, her eyes sympathetic. "I know the feeling. Trust me, I know what you're going through is hard. I can't say I understand what you're going through, because mine was different, but I can still sympathize with your confusion and fear."

"You went through a change like this, too?"

"Yeah. I'm one of the mountain's beasts, as the others call us. Bascially, we're dragons, me and Eyris, and the golden one. Though they call me silver."

"What's your real name? And can we start with your story?"

"Name's Tyrone. And my story starts like those of the other girls on the mountain, minus the little one and the golden irritant at the top of the mountain. Those two are way out of my league to explain."

"So, what's the story, Tyrone?"

She focused on the fire and her eyes glazed over, like she was replaying it all in her head. "Not sure how long ago it was, 'cause this mountain don't to time right, for whatever reason. Anyway, us five girls - six if you count Eyris - got on a plane. That was back in 2004, or something like that. I think.

"At any rate, me and Eyris were heading for my grandmother out in Texas in the United States, but they had no planes to our destination, or anywhere that would get us there, at the airport, so I had to grab a plane out of the country. Britain, I think we were in at the time. So we got on the plane and there were the other four girls as passengers, each of us heading somewhere.

"The plane took off, and I put my little gem to sleep and got to talking with Emily, the cute girl with the blond hair. Her and her sister were heading to the US to visit their parents. They'd moved to Britain a year or so before. She told me that Star and Beth, the cousins, were heading out of Britain because they were looking for some kind of change of scenery. Apparently they'd just lost some family and weren't taking it well."

"Wait, you were on a plane that crashed on the mountain? In 2004? I think I heard something about that. It was all over the news for a while. The plane went down and nobody saw or found any survivors."

"Yeah, that was us. We were on the plane, it crashed, and we got separated."

"How did it crash?"

"The twins crashed the plane. That's what they normally do now with flying machines. It's easier than trying to attract travelers to the mountain. That's a hard card to play, let me tell you, and not an easy one to pull off. Especially being them."

Louis frowned. "They crashed our plane, too, but how did they get on the plane?"

"Because they dig out from under the mountain. They have a tunnel beneath the surface that they take out to society. That's the one tunnel no one has ever been able to find. Otherwise, several of us would have left this mountain years, or in the case of the five centuries, ago. They leave, eat, then look for a plane that's destined to fly over, or near to, the valley. When fed, they can focus on something other than eating, though the hunger never abates."