Cursed Beauties

Zayn slammed his fist down on the control system in front of him. He didn't know how to fly a plane, but he figured he could play with the switches and stuff until something went beep, or he heard someone coming through the speakers.

Or something exploded. That would work, too. At this point, he was just looking for some kind of reaction. But no, this thing seemed to be broken in every possible way.

Except for the mp3 he'd found in the co-pilot's seat. Go figure, the plane was like a redneck car: nothing works but the radio.

He sighed and stood. When he'd found the mp3 he'd pocketed it, so now he had a music player with no headphones.

Glancing to the back of the cockpit, he watched the trees as if something would jump out of them at any moment. Earlier, something had, but after a few minutes, the thing had run off, leaving Zayn to himself.

He rubbed his eyes, then crossed his arms. There was nowhere to go, and no way to defend himself if something attacked him. What was he supposed to do?

Zayn leaned his head back so he was looking at the sky through the clearing overhead and thought back to the crash. From what he knew, he was pretty sure he was the only one who'd stayed awake during the whole thing.

Except for impact. He'd blacked out, but whatever.

He remembered seeing Niall and Harry holding hands, so they'd probably lived - or died - together. At least they wouldn't have been alone, but he wasn't going to think on that one.

Liam, he was sure, was dead beyond dead. After seeing that thing come back through just before impact, Zayn watched as it ripped a piece of metal from the wall separating them from the cockpit and crawling through. That shard had flown right into Liam's torso, impaling him. No chance he'd survived that in a million years.

Then there was Louis. Zayn frowned. He'd seen the thing grab Louis and sink its nasty teeth into his arm, but then it released him. After that, it had escaped through the wall and impaled Liam. With that bite, had that thing infected Louis with something? He really wasn't sure, but he didn't want to think about it.

Stepping out of the cockpit's remains, Zayn jogged to the tree line and stepped past the first row. He'd been here, alone, for who knew how long. Time seemed to move differently here, and he'd given up on trying to figure the timeline in any way. The clock on the mp3 changed the time constantly, so it was unreliable.

Looking up at the trees just beyond the outer ring, he smiled at the sight of apples. A few hours ago, he'd found one that dropped to the ground and ate it. He had honestly, in his whole life, never tasted an apple so delicious. It was like the apples came straight from heaven's gates and dropped onto these trees.

Now, he climbed the smallest tree and picked one of the apples. He sat on the branch, making himself comfortable, and ate it.

"That's really not a good idea."

Zayn started at the voice, jumping a couple inches. He looked down from his perch.

Below him stood a girl with black eyes, hair, and clothes. Her skin was darker, like a light chocolate, and her accent was only barely noticable.

She was staring up at him like she was dead, even though he could tell she was very much alive.

"Why not? And who are you? You're obviously not a flight attendant, so that excludes you from being on the plane."

She frowned at him. "I was on a plane when I came here, but no, I wasn't on that plane." She motioned to the cockpit, which had been completely severed from the rest of the plane. Dropping her arm, she looked at him with her head at an angle. "Can I join you?"