The Legend Awakens

Liam pulled himself to safety on the ledge. He'd finally made it to the top of the mountian. All by himself, no help from anyone, he'd climbed up here.

Dragging himself to the edge he just crawled over, Liam looked down the mountain. Just feet below him he could see the shadows that covered the mountian all the way down to the base and beyond. It looked like a thick, living wall of darkness continuously writhing.

It had taken him several days to make the climb to the top, and now, he smiled and closed his eyes. Days of trees, caves and rocks. Days of struggling to climb trees for food and shelter and wondering if he'd ever see his friends again.

He didn't know if any of the others were alive, but he was hoping. Maybe he'd see them from up here. But that idea was shot straight down because of those shadows. They blocked the view of everything on the mountian. He could't have seen a blazing fire if he'd been looking for one.

The knowledge gave him understanding, and Liam realized no one would ever find them on this mountain. Those shadows would never allow someone to see the mountain clearly, if at all, and they would assume him and the boys were dead.

They were on their own.

Swallowing his fear, Liam looked out over the valley, which he could now see, and his jaw dropped.

The entire valley was bathed in sunlight. Beautiful, amazing sunlight. Death Mountian was the only mountain in the valley the shadows encased.

Liam stored the information away for future use and examination. He stood up and let out a breath. He only had to climb up the last boulder and he'd be at that shining thing he'd seen from the base of the mountain.

Turning around, he walked to the stones, grabbed two that stuck out, and looked up to see how far he had to climb.

On top of the boulder facing down at him, eyes shut tight, was the little girl. A slow smile spread across her face. That smile was pure evil, and every survival instinct Liam had learned to heed these past few days began screaming at him to run. To turn and go back down the mountain as fast as he could.

Because whatever that little girl was smiling about wasn't good.

Liam stood there, holding on to the rocks, debating with himself for several minutes. He finally decided to ignore his instinct to run and began to climb.

"I'm bigger than her, so why am I afraid of her? Seriously, what could she do? Cry me to death?" He muttered as he climbed the boulder that stood just over twice his height.

*** ***

The little girl smiled down at the funny one. She knew he wouldn't turn around, and that was why she liked him so much. He was funny. Most people would look at her, become mad, then run away screaming. They were always caught by the twins or something else and eaten.

But this one was funny. He didn't run away from her. He thought she was harmless. A little girl who got stuck on this dangerous mountain and had no way home and no one to protect her.

Oh how wrong he was, and he was about to find out.

She danced over to her friend, placing one small hand on the golden scales. Her friend was her protector. Her friend kept her safe.

Her friend was hungry, and he had just made a long trip up the mountain to get eaten. Such a gentleman he was, as her father would have once said. He made the long trip, and gave up all he was for the good of another.

She smiled. Perhaps the giving wasn't willing, but it would happen all the same.

Stopping beside her friend's head, she stood on her toes and whispered into her friend's ear. Her horn lit up, the glow a bright pink beacon, as she said the words that would bring her friend awake.