Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

     Cody's home now. He has officially been retired for two months. I tried to talk him back into returning, but he wouldn't listen. He still refuses to even hear my side. He says I'm much more important than some career. I still don't think that is true, even remotely, in fact. But, I don't argue.

           It's November now and the leaves aren't the only thing that's changed. Our lives have been more than hectic. Ever since Cody announced the canceling of his tour and the future of his career, paparazzi has been swarming our home. That's right, OUR home. He decided to move out and take Michaela and I with him. His mom basically said good ridance but Brad insists that she'll get over it. I seriously doubt it.

     "Babe, where's Kayla's diaper bag?" Cody shouts, walking out of our bedroom.

     "In the pantry," I answer, stirring the mixture in the boiling pot.

           Instantly, he finds it and plants a kiss on my cheek in gratitude. I smile lightly, still amazed at the feelings he gave me after nearly three years. But, I know he would always do that to me. It was just the way he was. His eyes, his personality, his toothy little grin would always wriggle it's way into my heart. I couldn't hate him if I tried.

          Little arms wrap around my leg and I look down to find Kayla hiding her face in my leg. Laughing, I steep down to her level and ruffle her dark hair. "Don't let daddy get me!" She shouts when Cody comes racing into the kitchen. Swiftly, he picks her up and spins her around in the air. 

    "I got you!" He laughs as she squeals in delight.

          I can't help but smile. He was so sweet with her. Cody has always treated her like she was his own even though they didn't resemble in the slightest. He truly loved her and I would never be able to get over the fact that he was the best man on the earth. No one can convince me otherwise.

     "Now, it's time for you to take a bath you little munchkin!" Cody exclaims tickling her at her sides. Her little two-year-old voice rings through the house as she laughs. It is music to my ears. Cody sets her down, tapping her backside, directing her towards the bathroom. Quickly, she scurries off. I watch with a smile as her body turns the corner.    

          Cody reaches out, bringing his arms around my waist. Lightly, he places a kiss on my forehead. I grin a small smile and return the kiss but on Cody's chin. I was too short to reach his forehead. "You know I love you right?" Cody whispers, placing his nose against mine. I chuckle lightly and shake my head.

     "No, I had no clue. I thought this ring was just for decoration," I tease with a smirk.

          He chuckles deep in his throat and rolls his eyes. But, he doesn't fail to lean in and plant a kiss on me. Tiny waves of heat radiate in my fingertips. Like he said, it has never stopped. "Well, I love you, Shelby. Always." Cody pulls away and with a light peck on my lips, turns to assist Kayla with her bath.

          I watch as he disappears into the bathroom and lightly closes the door behind him. He never lets me finish what I need to say anymore even though it is unnecessary. He already knows what I'm going to say. In fact, sometimes he tells me not to even waste my breath. But, when I say it, it is nowhere near a waste. In fact, I would say them as my last words.

     "I love you too, forever."

                                                                             **********

          That night, I run to the store to get some groceries. That macaroni I had made for dinner was the last of the food and Cody was claiming to be "starving". He was such a kid sometimes, but I agreed to go pick him up something. Of course, Michaela wants to tag along, so I buckle her up in the backseat. We didnt have a car seat yet so I surround her in pillows on every side.

     "Mommy, why do I need these?" She questions as I place the last comforter over her chest.

     "Well, this is just in case something bad happens baby," I tell her as I buckle myself in and crank up the car.

         She doesn't respond but nods as I back up out of our home. Cody had bought us a house out in the woods of California. He says it'll keep us on the down low but it honestly hasn't. The paps know where we live but, I guess that's one thing you need to get used to when you're married to a celebrity. I would do anything to be with him though, so I didn't mind. I don't mind at all.

                                                                              **********

          Michaela happily munches on her chocolate chip cookie as I push her to the car in the cart full of groceries. "Why do you always wear those goggles when we go out?" She questions, referring to the glasses masking my face. The little one always had so many questions. Chuckling, I lift her out of the buggy and give her a kiss on her forehead.

     "Well, it's so people don't recognize mommy. If they did they would be mean to us."

     "Ohhhh, I get it," She answers.

           The sky rumbles with thunder as I look up and observe the dark skies promising a thunderstorm. Quickly, I hop into the front seat and crank up the car, ready to get home to Cody. I'm already out of the parking lot and halfway home when the rain begins to pour, making it difficult for me to see. Slowing down, I turn on my headlights to try and see in front of me but it doesn't help. I hear Kayla's voice but I can't make out what she's saying over the booming thunder.

     "What is it?" I shout above the noise.

     "I don't have my belt on!" She yells.

          Looking in the rearview mirror, I check. Sure enough her sdeatbelt was hanging limply at her side. Had I not secured it before I left? Checking the road, the few feet I could see, I pull over and park my car on the side of the highway. Sighing, I swing open the car door and step out to help her. The cold rain immediately freezes me to the bone. In a matter of seconds, I am drenched. Tugging on the back door, it doesn't budge. I had forgotten to unlock it. As I reach down into the front seat, a pair of headlights shine brightly in my eyes.

            Squinting, I have enough time to see the oncoming semi truck and hear its blaring horn before everything goes black.

A/N

Hey everyone, I know it has been quite a while since I have updated so I decided to go ahead and make this a longer chapter than usual. Sadly, it's still short :( Anyway, we are approaching the end of this book. I have about five more chapters planned and possibly an epilogue but I am not entirely sure yet. I can't thank you all enough for all the feedback I have received on this. It is seriously amazing. I will update as soon as my schedule enables me to so I cannot assure any certain date or time. I know it may be a week or longer. But, in the meantime please, vote, comment, and fan! You all are the best and I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I love you guys.

~Shelby x