Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

*Four Days Later*

I haven't been able to do anything. Move, eat, speak, nothing. I've been useless doing nothing but wallowing in my own sadness. Nothing. I felt nothing now. What used to be a slightly pulsing in my stomach was no gone. I'm empty. Numb. I feel as though nothing can wake me up and get me out of this hazy stupor. The bed beneath me is too hot for any comfort although my body is freezing cold. The beating of my heart is so quiet, barely audible. I want to die. This was the one thing I was supposed to give to Cody and I couldn't carry that out.

I feel a warm hand on my forehead. I don't move, the voice will tell me who it is. "Shelby, I know this is hard but you've got to snap out of this." It's Nicole, she hadn't been here for a day or two. She was out modeling for Pastry. She had told Alli and Gisela, though about...what happened. I don't reply to her, the words couldn't come. She sighs in agitation and stands up in front of me. 

"Shelby, listen. I know you're upset I would be too but you've got to get yourself out of this! Kayla is out there counting on you and she doesn't know whats wrong with you. She may have lost a brother or sister and you may have lost a child but don't you dare give up on her too!" What she says are the first words to actually go through my head since the accident. There's a pang in me chest and I feel the urgencey of her request.

She was right, I still had my little angel and I couldn't give her up, regardless of the situation. I had to fight for this. I must fight for her, that's what Cody would want me to do. Cody, I still haven't contacted him in a few days. I doubted that he knew and what about Greyson? I hadn't seen him either. Had I really been out of this much contact for so long. For the first time in days, I sit up directly out of bed and brush my matted hair out of my eyes.

"You're right, Nicole." 

I couldn't give up now after everything we have been through. I would do this for him. For Cody. All I had to do was last until the end of his tour. I had two more months. That wasn't too long. I can do this. I walk out of the room briskly, into the living room with renewed energy. I find Alli and Greyson sitting on the couch. "Where's Kayla?" I question. When they turn to me, both of their eyes are full of shock. I'm not surprised I've been incapacitated for days. 

"You're up," Alli states. All I do is nod. Alli sends a look to Greyson. I repeat myself yet again. "Where is Michaela?" Greyson stands up tucking his hands into his pockets. He answers after hugging me tightly. He smells the same as he did years ago when we were both much younger. Musky and warm. It was comforting.

"She's with Gi. We thought it would be better for her to get away from this," he says rubbing my back. I nod in agreement, they were right. It was better for her to be somewhere where it wasn't so depressing. Besides, she always had fun with Gisela so I knew she would be okay. That was all the reassurance I needed. "How are you doing?" Alli questions softly. 

"Better, just trying to get out of this." 

Before I can say anything else Alli races up to me and hugs me to her chest. She begins crying into my shoulder and speaks through her sobs. "I thought you weren't going to get through this. I was so afraid and when Cody found out I thought he was going to go insane but both of you are okay. You're fine." 

"Wait, Cody knows?" I ask pushing her back by her shoulders.

She nods slowly and I sigh in exasperation. She said he freaked out and thats what I was scared of. 

"What else did he say?" I question the Australian. 

"Well, I don't think you want to know this."

"What else did he say Al?"

She exhales sharply, sending another look to Greyson. I could tell I wasn't going to get this out of her. She was too stubborn like Cody. That was one thing that could have been a negative side to both of them. I turn to Greyson and find him biting his lip. 

"What is it? Tell me Grey," 

"Well," he begins averting his eyes to the floor. "Cody said he was coming back as soon as possible so he," 

"He what?" I ask tired of them dragging it out for so long. 

"He canceled the tour. He's coming home now. He made the announcement that you guys are married and have Kayla and that you were pregnant. He told the world Shelby."

Everything in the room begins to spin. I can't focus on anything. There are no longer faces only shapes and when those shapes disappear they turn into swirling shadows. Cody had done the one thing I was terrified of him doing. He finally gave up his career for me. He had threatend he would do it but I never thought he truly would. 

"He- he can't do that," I stutter. Greyson grabs my by the shoulders and helps steady me. 

"He can Shelby and he already has. He's coming home now and there's nothing we can do about it."