Perfect

Now that my first attempt to propose had been ruined, I was determined to make this one perfect. I wasn't going to take her out so that another one of her ex girlfriends could show up; that would be stupid.
I decided I would do it that night. No fancy restaurant or fairy lights or any of that shit. Just us on our crap little couch.
I had the ring in my pocket. I was ready. Scared, but ready. We had finished dinner and we were sitting watching TV. I took a deep breath, picked up the remote and paused it.
"What's up?" Erin asked curiously.
I was trembling, my stomach filled with butterflies that were a mixture of anxiety and excitement. I took her hand in mine, and turned towards her.
"We've not been together for a very long time," I started, "yet, instantly, when I saw you... I fell in love. Maybe this is quick and stupid, and maybe I'm naive for thinking I could ever be good enough for you, but-" I heard something clunk on the floor. I looked down at the little black box, lying there on the carpet, felt the new emptiness in my pocket, and crumbled internally, "shit," I whispered, "I can't do anything right." I buried my head in my hands, wishing I could start over completely, "I'm sorry."
Erin gently moved my hand from my face, "don't be sorry," she smiled, "just keep going."
I picked the ring up off the floor, "I was so worried, about where I said this, or how... polished a performance it was. But I didn't realise that it's anything but a show, 'cause no matter what I said, it wouldn't be an exaggeration of how I feel about you. I love you so much, and I can't imagine having to spend a day without you. And I'm sorry that this isn't perfect. But I think the fact that you're perfect makes up for it," I knelt down in front of her and opened the box, my eyes filling with tears, "so... I have an idea. I'll stay by your side no matter what happens. I'll give you free tattoos and I'll cook recipes with parts in them," I laughed, "I'll love you forever. I can't promise you the world, and I can't promise that I'll be perfect for you, 'cause I'm not. But I can promise that I'll never stop trying to make you happy," I took the ring out of the box, "if you'll marry me."
Her eyes were streaming with tears as she nodded. I slipped the ring on to her finger and pressed my lips against her's.
"You said you can't do anything right," she said tearfully, "but I can't think of anything more perfect than this."