Not meant to be

I looked up at the cold grey sky on my walk to the tattoo studio- it was sad and drizzly and depressing, just like my mood.
It was that annoying kind of rain that you can hardly see but still drenches your hair.
I got into the studio about five minutes early and started squeezing the water out of my hair.
"Nice weather, huh?" Dan said, hanging his jacket up.
I nodded mutely.
"You don't seem like the glowing, newly-engaged woman I was expecting to be greeted by," he pointed out.
"Wow, you're so observant," I said dryly.
"What happened?" He asked.
"... her ex was there," I sighed, "and not just any ex. Her scary blonde ex who apparently wanted her back."
Dan bit his lip, "oh... you're kidding, that sucks."
"Yup. And then she came to our apartment."
"What?" He exclaimed.
"She showed up and started telling me how she wants to date Erin again. I mean... she gave up, but it got me wondering. All the odds are against us. There was my parents not liking us. And then the cancer scare. And now this. I mean, the exact night I plan to propose, her ex shows up. How is that fair? Or... at all likely. Maybe... maybe we're just not meant to be," there were tears in my eyes.
"Hey, don't talk like that," he said, "you two are perfect for each other."
"What if we're not... Chloe said I wasn't pretty enough or... I don't know, tall enough? I thought that was a strange requirement. But still. Erin is... perfect. And I'm just... me."
"Look, I've known Erin for years. That day she came in, when we were looking at your drawings, she asked me if she could ask you out. And d'you know what she said?"
"What?" I sniffed.
"She asked me if I thought you were out of her league. She was worried that she wasn't good enough for you."
"... she really said that?" I wiped my eyes with my sleeve.
"Yeah," he nodded, "please don't give up on it. I really think you two are meant for each other. And... I really want to be a best man at your wedding," he grinned, "do lesbian weddings even have a best man? Do you like, get one each?"
I laughed, "I have no idea."
"... so you'll still propose?" He smiled hopefully.
I thought about it, "Yeah," I nodded, "I have to," I smiled, my heart fluttering.