Tattoo

Dan and Erin looked at all my drawings for what felt like ages. I sat, trying to add to the one I was working on, sneaking glances at Erin every few minutes. Sometimes she would catch me staring and smile or wink. It made my heart flutter.
Soon, Dan came over and whipped my paper off the desk, "I think you should get this one."
"It's not finished," I retorted, "and like I said, I don't think it'll turn out well."
"You say that every time you give me a new design," he smirked, "and I always like them. And I like this one."
Erin raised her eyebrows, "I like it too."
"See," Dan looked at me, "you're too negative."
"How about it ginger?" Erin grinned, "can I have it?"
"Of course. If you want it."
"You can do it Kristen," Dan said, "I'll stay out front."
I nodded, showing Erin through to the back room. She sat down. "I'm building up a sleeve," she explained.
I marveled at her many intricate tattoos, "they're awesome."
"Thanks."
She lay back and I got everything ready, slipping the gloves on to my hands. I transferred the image on to her arm, then started with the needle. She winced slightly at first, but she stopped soon- I assumed she must be used to it. I did this several times a day, but with her it was... different. It seemed more special, more intimate. I was as apprehensive and careful as the first time I ever did this.
After a while of silence, she spoke, "I know this is kind of awkward, but I was wondering... would you like to go out at some point?"
I paused.
"I mean, if you're into girls. If you're not, I'm sorry-"
"No, I'm gay," I assured her, "and yeah, I'd love to." I was trying to remain outwardly calm, but inside I felt like I was flying. No one usually liked me. I wasn't the kind of person who met pretty girls and got asked out straight away.
"Well when do you get off? I know today seems pretty quick but if you're not doing anything... I could take you out to dinner."
"That sounds great. I get off at four. 'Cause Dan's in a good mood on Saturdays."
"It's already quarter to, I think you might be a little longer."
"Oh, wow. Time flies."
"Sure does," her smile was infectious. I kept going with her tattoo.
"D'you think Dan'll be pissed if we go out?" I wondered.
"Nah, I already asked him. He seemed to like the idea."
"...I like the idea too."