Purple Hair

I stared at the drawing on the table below me; it was shit. What was I thinking? No one would want to get this design permanently inked on to their body. I sighed, slamming my pencil down.
   I looked around the empty studio, feeling depressed. My boss, Dan, was out on his lunch break, and I was alone. I peered back down at the drawing. This was hopeless. I got up and fetched my water from the back room. When I returned, someone was coming into the studio.
   I jumped when I noticed her, not expecting to see anyone.
   "Hi," I said, "how can I help you?"
She smiled, "I'm a friend of Dan's," she told me, "is he here?"
   "He's actually out on his lunch break just now," I explained, "but he shouldn't be too long."
   "He left you here all alone?" she joked, raising her eyebrows, "what a dick."
   I laughed. She was... mesmerising. Her skin was pale and clear, and her eyes were large and brown, framed by long, dark lashes. Her shoulder length hair was dyed purple, like grape juice or blackcurrant jelly.
   "Your hair's beautiful," I said without thinking. Then I blushed, staring at the ground.
   "Nah," she shook her head, "I like your's. Red hair's great. I had to dye mine to make it interesting. Your's does that all by itself."
   I blushed deeper.
Suddenly, Dan appeared at the door, "oh, Erin! I forgot you were coming." He looked at me, "sorry Kristen, I should have given you some warning. This is my friend Erin, I told her to come see your drawings 'cause she wants to get another tattoo."
   "Oh... cool," I smiled shyly.
Dan picked up the drawing I had abandoned, "this could be cool once it's finished."
   I shrugged, "I gave up on it, I thought it was kinda crap."
   "I'd keep working on it," he advised.
"Sure, I'll keep at it," I nodded. It couldn't hurt to try.
   Erin was gazing at the wall, taking in all the drawings that were pinned up. I couldn't help staring at her hair- it really was beautiful. I wanted to touch it, run my fingers through it, brush it behind her ear as I softly kissed her cheek...
   I gasped, feeling cold water splash on to my knee. I shook myself out of my trance, holding my water bottle the right way up, my face flushing furiously.
   Dan laughed, "what happened there?"
  I shook my head, smiling, "no idea."
Erin turned around and grinned.