Ex

I sat across from her in the restaurant, trying to hide my trembling. I could barely eat because of my nerves- and that sucked 'cause this place was expensive and the food looked delicious.
I was using this opportunity to be extremely soppy and talk a lot about how much I love her. It seemed to be going well, as she looked happy.
She looked radiant, actually, with the glow of the candles lighting up her eyes, her violet hair pulled back into a braided updo. I tugged anxiously at the waves of my own hair, trying to stay calm.
Another couple were sat beside us then, a man and a blonde girl.
The girl gasped, "Erin Brenner! Fancy seeing you here!"
Erin blushed deeply, looking at me apologetically. Then she turned on a smile, "Chloe, what a surprise!" She looked at me, "Chloe and I used to date," she sighed.
"Oh. It's nice to meet you." It wasn't. It really wasn't fucking nice to meet my girlfriend's ex half an hour before I planned to propose. But I pretended to be pleased, "I'm Kristen."
"I'm Joshua," Chloe's partner introduced himself, since she seemed to have forgotten. I looked at him sympathetically. We acknowledged to each other with our eyes that this was an extremely awkward situation.
"So, Erin," Chloe raised her eyebrows, "new girlfriend?"
"Yep," Erin nodded, "well, not that new. We've been together a little while now," she squeezed my hand across the table.
"Well, I can tell you," she turned to me, "you've gotten lucky."
"I'm sorry?" I wasn't sure whether she was telling me how great Erin was, or how shit I was, but neither option pleased me.
"Oh don't take it personally," she laughed.
I pretended to laugh back.
"You know I would never have had you down as her type," oh god she was speaking again, "she usually goes for the tall pretty girls."
I looked down at the table, wishing the ground would swallow me up. Was she stupid, ignorant, or just plain mean?
Erin squeezed my hand tighter, "Kristen is pretty. And I wouldn't say she's short either. Even if she wasn't conventionally pretty I wouldn't care. She'll always be beautiful to me."
I smiled at her gratefully.
"Wow, sweet," Chloe said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. I was starting to get angry. The whole night was ruined. I couldn't propose after this.