Gone

"Well I had a shit day today," I sighed, letting my bag fall to the floor and sitting down on the couch.
"What happened?" Erin perched on the arm of the couch next to me.
"Ugh, just some dick head who decided to leave with half a tattoo because he found out I was gay."
"Really?" She laughed, "he didn't even let you finish it?"
"Nope. And he did this," I gestured to my now swollen, bruised wrist.
She looked alarmed, "what?!"
"He just grabbed my wrist. But he was huge. It was kind of scary."
"Jesus, I'll bet it was. You okay?"
"Yeah, I'm good. How was your day?
"Nothing much happened," she slid down on to the seat of the couch, her legs over my lap. I held her close, feeling her shallow breathing. "God, I'm tired already," she lay her head on my shoulder, closing her eyes. Soon, her breathing slowed and her head got heavier on my shoulder. She was asleep.
I felt content, but oddly melancholy. Perhaps it was the feeling that holding her like this felt so right, but was viewed as so wrong. The guy's words from earlier echoed in my head. I shook them away, and gently stroked Erin's hair.
Suddenly, the phone rang and I felt her wake with a start. She went to get up, but I stopped her, "I'll get it babe, you're half asleep."
She nodded sleepily and sat back down while I picked up the phone, "Hello?"
"Hey," it was Finn, "I'm just calling to see if you need a ride on Friday."
"What?" I asked, confused, "what's happening on Friday?"
"Mom's funeral, remember?"
"... what?" My heart sank.
"... dad didn't tell you?"
"No," I sighed, "he didn't tell me anything."
"...she died this morning."
"She's gone? Already?" I shook my head.
"I know, it's kind of a shock, right?"
"Yeah... guess I'm not invited to the funeral then."
"You can still come with me if you want," he offered.
"No, I don't think I'm welcome there, it would be awkward. And... is it terrible that I don't really care?"
He paused, "no, I get it. I don't feel as sad as I should either. I'm still gonna go to the funeral but... I don't really know why."
"Well I hope it goes okay... tell dad I'm sorry for his loss."
"I will."
I put the phone down and looked over to Erin. "You okay?" She asked.
"Yeah," I went to sit next to her, "I feel sort of... numb. I feel bad for not caring but-"
"No, it's understandable. Do you wanna be alone or...?"
"No," I searched for her hand and held it tight, "I don't ever wanna be alone, when it comes to you."
She smiled, "well... I've met your parents now. Maybe it's time you met mine." I could tell she was trying to cheer me up.
"Are you sure? I'm really awkward."
She laughed, "of course I'm sure, silly. They'll love you. We could have them over for dinner some time. It'll be fun"
"Sure," I smiled sadly, "why not."