Mom

"Finn, maybe we should just go home." I twisted my hands together, looking at him, pleading.
Erin sighed, "no way, you've come all this way... and I'll have worn this hideous powder blue sweater for nothing."
I laughed.
"Seriously," she said, "everything will be fine."
I nodded, hoping she was right.
We got out of the car, Finn grasping the bunch flowers like a shield. Walking up the path brought on a sickly wave of nostalgia, which I tried to ignore. Finn went to ring the bell, then pulled his hand back. Erin waited an obligatory moment before pressing it for us.
Dad came to the door. He looked nervous himself. "No funny business, remember?" He warned us, before letting us in. He took us through to her room. The feeling of being back in the house was unpleasant and strange. It gave me goosebumps.
She was propped up in bed by about four pillows, her face looking tired and ill, but her hair was brushed back in a sordid attempt at normality.
I breathed in, and tried to smile, "Hi mom, how are you feeling?"
She didn't answer. I looked around her room; there were vases of flowers on every surface.
"Do you like all my flowers?" Her voice was croaky and strained, "those ones are from Brenda, aren't they lovely?" She pointed at a large bouquet.
"Uh... yeah. Beautiful," I said awkwardly.
"You remember Brenda, don't you? She went to church with us."
I nodded.
"Who's this?" Mom gestured towards Erin, who took a step closer.
"This is Erin, mom... she's my... she's my girlfriend," I said firmly.
"It's nice to meet you Mrs McNeil," she her hand out to shake mom's. Mom didn't take it.
"Oh Kristen," she sighed, "I thought you'd have gotten over that silly phase. Or gotten help. Don't you realise that this is the devil's work?"
"Mom," Finn butt in, "try to be nice. You said you wanted to meet Erin."
"Did I?" She raised her eyebrows.
"Yeah," I said.
She suddenly gasped, "oh good heavens Kristen, look at your arms! Why on earth would you do that to yourself!"
I blushed, not knowing what to say.
Finn spoke for me, "didn't dad tell you? Kristen actually works in a tattoo studio now. That's where she met Erin."
"Oh this just gets worse. You inflict those... things... on other people? And get payed for it?"
"Yeah," I said quietly.
"Well now I've heard everything... I've been praying for you both. I always do."
"Uh... thanks," I tucked my hair behind my ear.
"And what have you been doing son?"
"I'm a waiter."
"What a nice respectable job. And so nice that you don't turn away from your sister, even though she's so... perverted."
I felt my eyes filling with tears. I didn't know how much longer I could take this shit.