Chapter 23

I was in the darkness, so darkness I became.

June 20 2015

Whinny kept her gaze forward as she makes her way through the many campers, trying to ignore the looks of shock and the few of disgust.  Nico squeezed her hand in encouragement as she starts to enter the ship with the head of a dragon. 

"You can stay with me in the control room, Whinny," Leo speaks up," I can watch you from there."

Whinny only nodded until she thought of something to say, "Will I be able to see the battle from up there?" This seemed to faze Nico slightly but he just brushed it off. 

"Yes," Leo began," you'll have a clear view of the battle."

Whinny nods again, saying nothing this time, but only looking down.  Together, Chiron, Leo, Whinny, and Nico walk to the control room.  Chiron pulled Whinny towards him, barely registering the flash of anger on the son of Hades's face.

"Under no circumstance will you move," Chiron began undoing the cuffs," and don't you think about pulling anything." 

Whinny starts to rub her wrists just as Chiron attaches one to a pole and the other to her, already starting to bruise, wrist.  When Chiron pulls away, Whinny gets a wave of dizziness and would've collapsed if Nico hadn't been there.

"Hey hey hey what's wrong," Nico says with worry clear in his voice.

"Th-they're close," the girl mumbles weakly struggling to stand.

"No you can't Whinny!" Nico panics," We don't know what absorbing all of those monsters could do to you." Nico gently puts Whinny into a sitting position in which she is leaning against the wall, "You have to stay stong ,Whin." Whinny just closes her eyes in concentration.

"Chiron!" Percy yells suddenly appearing in the doorway, out of breath," there here. The army is here." Percy glances at Whinny and Nico with an acknowledging nod.

"Okay everybody into your places," Chiron commands then starts walking out, but turns around when he notices Nico not behind him, "Come Nico. We all must do our part."

"Can I at least say goodbye?" Nico practically begs.

"Make it brief," Chiron says in a gruff voice before leaving the room, Leo right behind him to give them privacy.

Nico and Whinny slowly turn toward each other.

"You have to fight it," Nico says weakly. He slowly puts his hand over the small girl's cheek.

"I'll try."

"You will." Whinny doesn't say anything to that just tightens her face in pain.

"Nico I need to tell you th-"

"No goodbyes Whinny," Nico interrupts.

"Let me do this," Whinny whispers taking both of Nico's hands in her own," I've never been accepted since... since my family died.  They were the only ones who loved me.  They were the only ones I dreamed about.  They're the only ones I let myself be close to.  Then you came into my life one day.  The pale, scrawny little boy who bought me some food from a gas station.  Then that same little boy appeared again but this time older, and I knew that couldn't be an accident.  This boy taught me trust.  This boy taught me a feeling I hadn't had in a long time.  This boy taught me a feeling I hadn't felt in this way in all of my years," Whinny stopped to take an uneasy breath," and now this boy is teaching me how to fight for what he wants.  He fights for his camp, he fights for what's right, and he even fights for me. Now, I'm going to fight for what I want.  I'm going to fight for happiness.  I'm going to fight for happiness in others. I'm going to fight for your happiness," Whinny says putting her hand over his heart and closing her eyes  before continuing, " Now I need to tell this boy something. I need to tell this boy who I am going to fight for something. Nico," Whinny says opening her beautiful eyes once again," I am in love with you."

Nico then closes the small gap there is between them.  This kiss was not just passionate but also gentle. Whinny felt black tears she was fighting to not have control her escape her eyes.

As they pulled away, they still stayed there with their foreheads touching.

"I love you so much," Nico whispers interlocking their hands once again," I love you with all of my being.  The girl who sat on the sidewalk.  The girl with black streaks.  The girl who fought in the alley.  The girl who owns my heart." Nico puts his hands over the girl he love's cheek and slowly kisses her once more," The girl who is going to fight this."

As Nico walks out of the room into a battle with unknown strength, Whinny promised she'd fight.  Fight for him.

Author's Note

Finally an update!!!!! Can't believe we are passed 3,000 reads!!!

And thank you for all of your beautiful comments!

MUCH LOVE!!!!

-Christian <3