THIRTY SIX

"Are you sure?" Kai questioned, looking out the door of my bedroom. "She's fine?"

It was Dongmei. When we had entered the dorm to gather my things, she was on her phone.

Dongmei has been on this call while I packed with no explanation.  I don't know who she's talking to, but they won't let her hang up.

"No," I mutter. "I'm not sure about anything."

I felt Kai staring as I paced back and forth.

"You're very worried," he observed.

"I don't know what would give you that idea," I said with sarcasm.

He chuckled, taking ahold of my shoulders so that I will stop aimlessly walking around.

"Everything will be okay."

"How is Dongmei going to react?" I ask,
getting out of his grip. It's like I wasn't even listening to what he said.

I walk into the other room to see Dongmei anxiously biting her nails.

I didn't even notice that her phone was on the ground until she bent over to pick it up.

"You're leaving, aren't you?" inquired Dongmei.

"Listen-"

"No," she interrupts. "I want to know exactly where you're going." 

Her hands clasped in front, gripping tightly onto the cellular device. I stared at it in silence, refusing to say a word.

"She's coming to my home," Kai stated, taking my hand and planting a kiss on it.

"That's where she spends most of her time anyway."

"Yes, but-" I began, but was quickly cut off by Dongmei's sharp tone.

"No!" She snapped. "I'm your roommate, I deserve to know where you'll be."

"I'm tired of hearing you interrupt my girl," Kai growled. "You're just her roommate. She's not obligated to tell you about everything she does."

"It's good she's not obligated. Because she has never kept me updated."

"Poor you," he said with dry laughter. "Maybe you should stop being so selfish, and start being happy for her."

"Why should I be happy?  Nothing extraordinary happened."

"Yeah, you wouldn't know."

"I'm going to ask you again," she said with an eye roll. "Why should I be happy for her?"

"I'll tell you why," Kai pulled me into his body. "Because she still chose to live with you, instead of living with someone who is concerned about her well-being."

"Oh!" Dongmei exclaimed.
"That's what you have been telling him?" She looks me in the eyes.

"No!" I blurt.

"Really?  Because I don't know how else he would've gotten that idea."

"I knew from the beginning that you're trouble," he finished.