EIGHT

Ever since I came here, there is never a dull moment. It's so much different than my life back home.

At home, I never went out. Hell, I never had this many friends. I just stayed home, reading and listening to music.
But now, people are always dropping by.

I'm not used to it, but I'm also not going to complain. It's nice to have multiple people to count on.

I sure am going to miss these people once I leave.

Dongmei walks into the kitchen as I head towards the door. I swing it open, wondering who would be at our dorm at this time.

I was surprised by what I saw.
It was him again.

"Kai?"

He ran a large hand through his disheveled hair. A breath escapes his lips, and I receive the urge to question him again.

"Kai, what are you doing? It's getting late, you should be home."

"I-I don't know." He stammers.

"What don't you know?"

Silence swept over us, and all that could be heard was his rapid breathing.

He seemed torn.
It looked like he had been running, and an appearance of confusion was prominent in his features.

I don't think Kai knows why his feet led him here.

"Do you want to come in?" I ask.
It's the least I could do.

Kai's head nods vigorously, making his hair fall closer to his eyes. His shaggy hair is really growing on me.

"Ari, who was at the door?" Dongmei asked, stopping once she saw the shaken-up boy standing in the doorway.

She said nothing, but simply walked into her room and shut the door.

Dongmei knows when to question, or when to leave things alone. And I love her for that.

Without a second thought, I took Kai by the hand and brought him into my bedroom.

"Sit on my bed. I'm going to go and get you a glass of water."

He obeyed, so I walked into the kitchen and retrieved the water.

I honestly felt bad for him. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I've never seen Kai in this state.

It's not like I've known the kid for long, but I have a good judge of character. And I can tell that he doesn't tend to show people this side of him.

Kai's eyes were glazed over when I walked back into my room.

He was deep in thought.

After handing him the water, I sat down next to him. I just waited for an explanation, instead of asking him for one again.

"Thank you." He said sincerely. I cocked an eyebrow.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"You are very understanding of everyone's situation. I wish that I could be like that."

I was in awe. The boy that I had made him out to be is so much different than this sweet, sincere one.
But he isn't always sweet and sincere.

"It's alright." I said, keeping it short and simple.

"You're probably wondering what is going on."

"That thought has crossed my mind, yes."

A smile ghosted his lips.