Blazing red light

“What’s going on?” I yelled over the chaos. People were pushing and fighting to escape to the exits and I had no way to do the same as I was being crushed from every direction.

“Our hideout has been infiltrated by Magicians” replied Amber, her face was determined and set with anger. Ava gasped and I grit my teeth.

Was this my fault? Was it because I escaped? Did I lead them here? And what about Lillie? Was she safe or had the Magicians found her?

Amber interrupted my thoughts. “Lila, Lake… take Blaise and Ava to a lockdown room. Show them how to make a basic shield, we don’t want them being struck by Magicians ok? And protect them if you come across any Magicians then send for Marlon.”

The twins nodded quickly. Lila was a pretty girl with long, blonde hair and emerald green eyes. Lake was tall and muscular with blonde curly hair and had the same eyes as Lila.

Lila grabbed me by the arm and Lake put his arm around Ava and guided her to the exit. I was happy to see that people were parting to let us through and soon we had escaped the hall and were jogging down the corridors at a fast pace.

We reached a narrow spiral staircase that opened out to a large, bare room with a couple of wooden crates in. At the ceiling, there were several large, globes of light that gave out a sickly green glow.

Lake quickly pulled the heavy wooden door shut, bolted it and then put some kind of spell on it.

“Right is everyone ok?” he asked quickly.

“Hungry” I mumbled unhappily. We had only been here a day and already there was trouble.

Lake laughed. “Ahh well, we’ll get some food later. Now I will tell you how to make a basic shield in case you come across any Magicians.” Lake began.

Ava snorted and I could tell what she was thinking.

“What?” Lila asked.

“Well, knowing our luck so far, we will come across a load of Magicians.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Yeah. They will somehow find a way through.” Ava muttered glancing at the door.

“Don’t worry. We will protect you.” Lake smiled at Ava and she smiled back. “Now to make a shield, close your eyes and relax. Slow your breathing and imagine a bubble around you.”

I did so and felt my skin tingle pleasantly. I opened my eyes to see a glowing blue shield around me. “Well I guess I do have magic” I whispered to myself.

“Well done” Lila smiled encouragingly at me and I grinned. “Hardly anyone gets it the first time”

I looked at Ava to see her shield had a soft yellow glow.

“Now start to move around, bringing the shield with you” I managed that and was feeling quite pleased with myself.  Lake continued “Now….”

BANG!

The floor rumbled beneath us, breaking my concentration and my shield disappeared.

“MOVE!” shouted Lake. I leaped to the edge of the room just as a blazing red light burst up through the floor.

Ava screamed and I tumbled through the air.