A sTeP dOwN tHe RaBbIt hOlE

Little Alice fell

D

O

W

N

The hOle

Bumped her head, and bruised her soul.

"These things don't happen in dreams young girl they only happen in nightmares." ~Melissa Meyers

"No Mom I'm NOT going!" I screamed at my Mom, running out the door.

"Alice come back here." My Mom yelled at me following me out.

"No." With that said I started to run into the woods to get away from her I didn't want to be near her after she just told me what she did, I didn't even want to see her. I watched as the trees passed by me in a blur I jumped over a branch but when I did I lost my balance and fell which gave my Mom the chance to catch up to me.

"Alice I just, I need to talk to you." She began.

"Mom, stop, okay I know what you are going to talk to me about. You want me to go into the insane asylum. I'm not crazy!"

"Alice, you've been talking about that place called Wonderland for a long time. It was cute when you were little, but now....it's not so cute anymore. You're seventeen, Alice. It was all in your mind Alice."

"No it wasn't in my mind I went to Wonderland I was gone for almost a week, and the Cheshire Cat and The Mad Hatter and The Red Queen? You think Wonderland is my own world, don't you Mom? I've got news for you it's not, I've been there!"

"Alice, listen you never left. You were here outside playing for the whole day. There wasn't a cat Alice, The Mad Hatter isn't a real person and The Red Queen doesn't exist, sweets you weren't there."

"YES I WAS AND I WANT TO GO BACK! I'll even show you where I fell down." I yelled and walked to the spot where I fell down a rabbit hole when I was six.

"See it's right here." I shouted at my Mom and pointed to the ground.

"I don't see anything Alice." My Mom told me crossing her arms, I looked down-and I saw nothing but leaves.

"No, no Mama it was right-I swear it-" But I seemed to have lost my words, I couldn't even string any words together, what happened to the rabbit hole over the past eleven years?

"That's it Alice, I'm taking you to see someone whether you like it or not." My Mom spoke to me as she grabbed my wrist, but I resisted, I knew that Wonderland was real and I wasn't going to go anywhere with my mom.

"NO I DON'T WANT TO GO MOM. I'M NOT CRAZY AND I SAW WHAT I SAW. I CAN'T PROVE IT BUT I KNOW!"

"I'm taking you to the doctor's tomorrow morning."

"Sorry Mom, I won't be here tomorrow morning."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm going back to Wonderland."

"You won't get very far Alice." My Mom sighed turning away walking back into the house leaving me alone in the woods. I sat down on the ground, I know the rabbit hole is here somewhere...I just know that it is, I moved all the leaves out of the way but still I didn't find the rabbit hole. I sighed to myself and just sat on the ground again wondering what happened to the rabbit hole. Maybe I was just in the wrong place? I got up pacing back and forth trying to figure out where the rabbit hole was because I wanted to jump down it just so I can escape this terrible cruel world that I was forced to live in. I watched the sun starting to go down, I looked around one more time for that stupid rabbit hole but I couldn't find it anywhere so I decided to go back home, once I opened the door I saw my Mom was sitting at the table.

"You know Alice, this would be a lot easier if you just agree to go." My Mom said to me taking a big sip of her alcoholic beverage that she loved more than life itself. I grabbed a pan from the cabinet.

"Mom I hate you."

"What did you just say to me?"

"I said I HATE you."

"Do you think I wanted a daughter as terrible, and ungrateful like you? You were cute when you were little and then you grew up, I can't wait until I get rid of you. You killed your father, it was your fault, you killed your beloved boyfriend, everything was your fault. You killed them, do you hear me? You killed them and now you're killing me." She took another sip of the bottle. I could smell the alcohol on breath.

"No it wasn't my fault."

"Everything is your fault Alice. I wish you were never born, you're a disgrace to this family. Who could love you Alice? Look at yourself, how could that boy be stupid enough to love you? Loving you got him killed, that's what stupidity gets you-killed." My Mom hissed at me, I got so mad at her when she said that. It wasn't my fault that my dad and my boyfriend died it was hers, my blood started to boil, my knuckles tightened and my grip on the pan was too tight my hands turned white. I didn't know what came over me but I took a step closer to her, I lifted the pan up that's when I swung the metal pan at her. I saw a trickle of blood starting to form around her temple. My Mom put her hand up to her temple then pulling it away to see her blood covering her fingers then I hit her again in the same spot causing more blood to be drawn. I kept hitting her and she fell down putting her hands in the air as if surrendering to me.

"Alice, stop." She begged me. I took a minute to think about her request, I lifted up the pan and struck her again. I kept hitting her over and over. I heard her cry and yell out in pain, begging me, pleading me to stop.

"ALICE STOP!" My Mom yelled but I ignored her, I just kept hitting her. I saw her body go limp, I got a clear look at her face it was all bloody I didn't even recognize her anymore. I looked at what I just had done. My Mom was on the floor in a pile of her own blood. I dropped the pan that was in my hand, I heard the metal crash to the floor. I looked down at my now bloody hands, then at my Mom. What did I just do?

"Mom?" I asked her-I knelt on the ground next to her, I put my fingers on her neck to see if I could get a pulse but she didn't have one.

"Damn it..." I whispered. I grabbed the phone and I dialed 911.

"911 what's your emergency?" This lady answered the phone.

"Hi, my name is Alice Kingslee this really isn't an emergency but I uh, I just killed my Mom. I'm seventeen, I got really mad at her....so my address is 6435 Rt. 985 North Street...you guys can come get the body whenever and I'll be in Wonderland." I hung up the phone before the dispatcher had time to react. I opened the medicine cabinet pulling out all different kinds of medication. I saw my anti anxiety medicine, some antidepressants that were expired, I found oxytocin that a doctor prescribed to me when I tore my achilles tendon freshman year of high school, then finally I found what I needed. I held the little pill bottle in my hand reading the clear label "Zaleplon," or the simple term everyone knows them as-sleeping pills. I opened the top pouring a bunch of them into my hand shoving them in my mouth, I filled a glass with water swallowing all the tiny pills. Then I put more white pills in my hand forcing them in my mouth, taking a sip of water. I felt as each one slipped down my throat into my digestive system. I swallowed all the pills that were in the bottle, then I opened the door walking outside. I felt the cool wind hit my skin, I took a deep breath in and that's when I saw a little white rabbit holding a ticking watch up. Once the rabbit knew that I saw him he started to run away.

"WAIT COME BACK!" I shouted following the rabbit into the woods then I saw him go behind a tree. I walked behind the tree just to lose the rabbit but I saw something that was covered in all leaves I started to move the leaves out of the way and I saw the rabbit hole. I smiled to myself. I knew that the rabbit hole was here, and I knew one step in the hole I would be in Wonderland.

"To Wonderland." I smiled, I closed my eyes thinking about how wonderful it'll be to be back in a world filled with nonsense. I took a deep breath and took a step off the ground.