Chapter 20: A Night To Remember

You sprinted through the streets, barreling through Chat Noir and Ladybug, heading towards the Eiffel Tower.

You needed time to think, time away from the overwhelming problems that awaited at the lair. Nathanael could wait.

The fluorescent orange and pink sun casted sparkling rays on your desk figure, casting a large shadow of dark.

Do I have a choice? You thought, staring down at your pounding shoes on the pavement. Is there a way that I can escape my destiny? Can I use my powers for good?

So many emotions swarmed around the regretful pit in your stomach. Your loyalty to your dad, love for Nathanael, and friendship to Chat and Ladybug. It was a two way road road that you were hesitant to travel.

Finally, you reached the bottom of the structure, staring up at the towering metal art. You felt smaller and insignificant the more you looked up at it.

"Time to see what this thing can do," you mumbled. "Aubrí?"

"Right here!" A tiny voice piped from your pocket. She popped up in front of you, sending you stumbling back in shock.

Aubrí giggled, but turned dead serious within seconds.

"You do realize you can't just leave me behind, do you?" She snapped, her wings beating faster with stress.

You grumbled a faint 'sorry' before scooping her up apologetically. The wind howled around you, tangling your hair into a fluffy mess.

No sound was to be heard except the rapid beating of your dark heart and the ringing of the wind in your ears.

"Okay, Aubrí, wings out!" You exclaimed, arching your back. With a spark, she flew into your clip.

Dark, black wings sprouted elegantly from your back, looking like a jagged pair of butterfly wings. It was ombre, from the bright purple of you new suit into the black if the wings on your back. A dark, swirling symmetrical butterfly flowed out from the middle of your chest, inverted from your last suit. Your mask turned black, and the edges spiked out, matching your wings.

It all blended together, blurring and swirling your assemble in wisps of color.

"Wow..." You breathed, admiring your look in the shiny metal of the Eiffel Tower.

For a moment, you relished the power. It all sank in slowly.

Just imagine what I can do with all of this! A new era, I'd rule it all. Everyone will bow down to their butterfly queen, me. You thought blindly.

You quickly came to your senses, brushing those selfish thoughts away, feeling embarrassed.

I can't end up like him.

The wings on your back fluttered subconsciously, carrying you up a few inches. You yelped and flailed about, falling on your bottom.

Eventually after a few more tries, you bursted upward, suspending yourself in mid air. The wind threw you off balance, sending you tumbling through the air.

Trial and error continued, and you were able to plop yourself down on a metal support beam, high above the city.

Fresh air dried the tears on your face, as you slumped against a side of the beam. Your eyes blinked slowly, and a yawn escaped your bright purple lips.

You touched a shaking finger to your lips, remembering the time they were on Nathanael's. Where did you go so wrong?

He forgave me. After how selfish and horrible I acted, he forgave me. Both times...

Without thinking, you jumped down from the beam.

Wind screamed in your ears as you plummeted down the tower, numbing your fingers and feet. Your moments with Nathanael flashed before your eyes, making you smile. Shutting your eyes...

A heavy force smashed into your side, sending you both tumbling onto the ground right before you would have hit. But you didn't get to see who it was, because their mouth was on yours, keeping you lightly pinned down.

Your brain was overwhelmed, from the pain in your chest to the shock of someone kissing you.

They pulled away gingerly and to your delight, the Dessinateur stood above you, bright red and traumatized.

"I thought-it looked-you jumped-WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" He stammered, insanely pacing back and forth.

"No! It's not what it looked like. I was going to pull up." You cried, grasping his hands. He stared at you, stunned and nauseated. All of a sudden, Nathanael broke down, tearing away and slumping to the ground.

"You could've died. You're the only one who's ever understood me. Stop being so selfish...despite who you were born as, stop thinking you can't change." He croaked, not meeting your eye.

"Nath..." You choked out, sinking down to hug him. "You don't have to worry, I'm going to fix everything. I'm going to make things right, for you and everyone else." You gave him a peck on the cheek before helping him up again.

He blushed furiously, giving you a thankful smile.

"Let's go destroy that miraculous control machine."