Chapter 3: An Unexpected Encounter

As you stepped outside, a cool blast of fresh air blew past, your hair flowing in slick motions around you. Busses drove past in the patched up road, honking at slacking drivers in modern looking cars. People bustled around the various shops, determined to reach their destination. Everyone and everything was in constant motion, and boy, it was noisy.

You stood rooted to the spot, unable to move for the longest time, entranced in the events in front of you. The whole idea of freedom, finally, excited you. Your legs began to shake and you stepped forward eagerly.

As soon as your foot landed down on the tough concrete, a powerful force slammed into your side, causing you to stumble. You only had time to let out a short gasp and close your eyes as you toppled over onto the cement, spilling your books everywhere. Your bottom hit the ground forcefully.

"O-oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!" An apologetic voice rang out above you.

You opened your eyes to see a teenage boy around your age extending his arm out to help you up. He had shortish bright red hair parted to the side and shiny teal eyes, filled with worry and concern.

Staring up at him, your heart fluttered for a moment, but you shook it off. 'No distractions' your dad had told you sternly, and you were planning to follow through with that order.

"Is everything alright?" The boy asked, his arm still reaching towards you.

Your attention snapped away from your thoughts and you reached out your hand gratefully.

"Um, y-yes, thanks you. I-I mean, thank you." You stammered, feeling gravity change as you got pulled up.

"I'm truly sorry, I should have watched where I was going..." He trailed off, clearly embarrassed. "Oh no, your books are everywhere too, let me help."

You watched as he bent down to reach for your science book, not able to speak. Gingerly, you began to help him place your books back into your backpack. His hands landed on your sketch book, which fell out of the book cover.

"You draw?" He inquired eagerly, peering over at you next to him.

"Yeah, I'm really into art," you confessed awkwardly, your cheeks showing a hint of pink.

"Nice, I am too." He admitted shyly, carefully placing the sketchbook back into your bag. You both stood up, brushing the sidewalk grime off yourselves.

You picked up your backpack and swung it around your shoulder.

"Oh no, I'm going to be late." He said quickly, tugging at his own backpack. "I'll see you around?"

But before you could respond, he was off, hurrying in the opposite direction.

"But I didn't even ask your-" you began. "...never mind."

Smiling to yourself, you quickly jogged to the public bus stop, wondering if you would ever see this boy again.