Chapter 23

People were panicking. Duncan was..crying? He knelt down next to Roscoe. "Why did you do it?" Roscoe lightly said, "To save your life." Duncan shook his head. "But why?! All I've ever done to you is treat you like crap!" Several sirens started wailing in the distance as it came closer. "We're all gonna make it, man." Roscoe stared up at Duncan like his soul was in another world. "I don't know about that. You guys..go on without me." Roscoe then waved weakly to me, Ella, and Duncan. "See you in another time." And with that he took his last breath, and I saw the life slowly fade from his eyes.
The ambulance arrived and they put us all on stretchers, even Roscoe. Annoying news reporters and paparazzi kept flashing pictures. "Can you tell us about what happened in Manhattan?" The doctors and paramedics didn't say a word. They just drove off to the nearest hospital.
It was strange being here since I passed out at the restaurant. I thought about the irritating nurse who'd plucked at my feathers. Duncan was there for me the whole time.
He'd never left my side. And Roscoe. Now that I think about it, he was protecting us the entire time.
From crazy people like Jim and Jerry.
And he did. He died while doing it. We were the only people who accepted him. Who understood him.

It took us a few days to get healed up. One day when I was just laying in my hospital bed, I decided to turn on the TV. There was our story. A news reporter came on the screen. "Three mutant children and a little girl were recognized as diamond theives by Corinne Jones at the local bank. While exiting a police station, three murderers came out with guns and set the building on fire. Brick Baxter, a man in his thirties attempted to shoot the diamond theif, Stone Dylan. Another mutant identified as Roscoe Christian took the bullet. The bank had become engulfed in flames. Two more unknown gunshots rang out and wounded Officer Steven Daniels." Officer Daniels! Was he okay? I worried now more than ever.
It had already been three days. We were almost better. The hospital let us bury Roscoe in a beautiful park surrounded by flowers. So we had a little funeral service.
"You were always protecting us. When I got kidnapped, I thought you were one of them. But I was wrong. You cared for us." Ella sniffled. She placed her flower gently on his grave. Duncan looked at the floor the entire time of his speech. "Gosh, man, I barely even knew you, but I hated you. You know, I judged you because I thought you could never be like us. The truth is, you were more human than we could ever be, and it shocked us. Your a good guy. I'm sorry how long it took me to realize that." Duncan placed his flower next to Ella's.
"Wow Roscoe. I didn't know you for that long, but you were a really cool guy. This is a big shock to me. You were just helping Ella and then you helped Duncan. Then you were gone.. That was your true mission. To help us, and to care for us better than we care ourselves." I placed the final flower on Roscoe's grave. We all walked back to our rooms. It was time to go home.