Chapter 14

Was this really what I wanted? On a mission to rescue my bestfriend/daughter/adoptive sister while meanwhile, scarfing down chocolate chip cookies? It all seemed ridiculous and unreal. What can I trust if I have wings? Duncan taps me on the shoulder. "Rae," He whispers softly, pointing somewhere behind me. I gasp. Behind us is a fang with greasy fur and dripping with saliva. We try our hardest not to panic. "Just focus on your breathing. Duncan says wistfully. The rise and fall of my heartbeat is escalating. I slide my bag off of my arm slowly. Duncan shoots me The Eye. "Don't strike." He threatens me. But I don't listen. Turning, I whack the back forcefully on the Fang's skull. It roars and everyone looks our way. Before we know it, everyone is screaming and running away. With a push, I open a nearby window and stick out my arm. "Duncan come on!" I yell. After kicking the Fang, Duncan runs as fast as he can towards the window. He grabs it and i hoist him up for flight. Just when we leave, the Fang swipes at my chest. The pain is unbearable. My wings snap out. I struggle to take us higher and higher into the sky. I only notice a few minutes later that Duncan is hyperventilating. "Rae? Rae? Please!" Everything is starting to get blurry and I feel nauseated. "Rae, I'm afraid of heights!" Duncan yells. Everything echoes, twists and bends. Then I drop. The last thing I hear is Duncan's terrified pleas.