23. I Wolfin' Love You

Avery:

Mason's father stumbled from the impact of his son's punch.

Mason was breathing hard from above me, his hands clenched in tight fist, gazing down at his father, hatred blackening his eyes.

"Don't you ever, ever, lay a hand on her again, or I swear I will rip you to pieces," Mason's dark voice growled out lowly.

Mason's father spit out blood that splashed against the glittering snow from the lamp lights.

"I didn't mean to push her. I meant to stop you."

"To hell you did!"

Mason's father stood, and wiped the rosy blood that dribbled down his face. I scrambled from my spot in the snow, my body numb from the freezing weather blanketing me.

Mason's father took a step towards Mason, but that was a mistake.

"Don't you dare come near me," Mason growled with so much ferocity, I shivered even more.

"Mason, please, we need to talk."

"I'm not speaking to you. I promised I'd try, but it's easier to say it then to be done. I shouldn't have came, I knew I would get like this. I knew this was a mistake."

I glanced at Mason's father. He wiped the dripping blood from his nose again, and I was surprised to see that he wasn't angry in the slightest. In fact, his gray eyes mirrored desperation and sorrow. I could tell he cared about Mason. He really wanted to talk this out, to get back on track. I knew Mason wouldn't let him though. No matter what, in the end, it was up to Mason if he wanted to speak to his father again.

"Avery, let's go. And this time, I don't want to hear anything."

I winced at his hard voice, anger gripping me. I wasn't the cause of all this. I was trying to help him! I wanted to heal the big gap in Mason's heart that I simply just couldn't heal. I wanted him to be happy, but Mason seemed to decline my offer without a single thought.

"Don't speak to me like that!" I snapped, too angry to say anything else, though my teeth chattered loudly though my words.

He glanced at me, his eyes dark as the sky above us. I saw his jaw flex.

"Mason," said a soft voice, sweet as honey, "please darling, don't go yet. I miss you so much, I can't bare not seeing you again. Come back into the house sweetheart and we'll talk this out, hm? It's Christmas."

Layla was standing outside on the porch, her body glowing from the gentle light on the porch. Mason didn't turn back but his fist clenched again.

"I'm sorry mom."

Her shoulders sagged in defeat, her crystal clear blue eyes watering. My heart tugged at the sight.

"Avery, let's go."

He didn't even look my way. He stuffed his hands in his jean pockets, lowered his head and crunched ahead in the snow.

I stood my ground.

This wasn't my Mason. He wasn't the Mason I knew, the Mason I fell helplessly in love with. The guy walking ahead of me looking like a dark angel wasn't my Mason. He was a stranger.

As if sensing that I wasn't following him, he turned around and looked at me straight in the eyes. His eyes were inky black, not the blue-gray that made me turn to jelly.

My breathe caught in my throat and I shivered uncontrollably, but it wasn't from the freezing temperatures.

I licked my dry lips and stared back at him, hoping he got my message.