24. I Wolfin' Love You

• Dedicated to Everyone Reading This :)

I know i said i wasn't going to write another chapter about Cory, but...It's important in the story, so....

Enjoy anyway! (:

Cory:

"I should kill you."

I growled, my fist in tight balls. I didn't want to hear Mason's voice. In fact, it was the last voice i wanted to hear. 

"Go to hell."

A brisk breeze picked up and the trees swayed in the chilly night. I stuffed my hands deeper in the leather jacket though i was immune to the freezing temperatures. 

"Then i'll see you there."

I turned to look at him. 

He looked horrible. Dark circles cradled his dull blue-gray eyes, stubble covered his face and he looked exhausted. The bright moon only enhanced his worn features. He was dressed in a black t-shirt ripped at the arms and black worn-out jeans.

"You look like hell."

'We need to talk about what you did to Mrs. Wilber."

My teeth gritted together. "I don't want to talk about it! I know what i did."

"Obviously," he said, and i noticed how tired he also sounded. 

I turned to look back at the swaying black trees in the clearing, shifting position on the boulder i was sitting comfortably on until Mason came along. I needed time to think, to sort out my confused thoughts. 

I didn't intend to harm Mrs. Wilber. It was late, very late when i went hunting. I was furious, the kind of furious that burned your mind into a red haze. I couldn't thin straight. Mother was crying her eyes out that Mason had left once again, Dad looked defeated, and  everyone looked like they had just buried their loved one. It was all so stupid.  

I had came late to the Christmas party, having business to sort out. I expected to see everyone jolly on the cheerful holiday to only be greeted with dread and everyone heading out the front door past the golden lamp lights, their heads bowed low.

What happened? I remembered asking. Mother sniffled. "M-mason left again. Oh, i wished he'd stay to work things out. Everything was all so perfect. He had brought the most beautiful girl home, Avery, to meet us. I was so happy he found his mate and she brought him home to me. But your father came and he went ballistic. I just wished this Christmas would have been better. Is that so much to ask?"

 That ticked me off. Avery, the girl i had set my eyes on since i saw her in the woods, that Avery was Mason's mate? It coulnd't be. I hadn't expected that. I knew she loved him and he her, but for them to be mates? That would be even hard for me to take Avery back. 

I had left shortly after the news. I didn't bother to stay home and i knew my mother was upset about it. One son was already never home, but another son? It was all too much for her. 

I didn't care. I was angry that Avery was his and not mine. I was angry that i couldn't find anything even remotely good to eat and i was starving to the point my legs wobbled. I was so pissed off that Mason had taken over the pack again and word going around was, that the packed was more than happy for me to step down. In fact, they were delighted. 

I was pissed the fuck off. 

I was hungry and that old little lady was walking down the street with the steady click, clack, click clack of her heels. The wolf in me took over, hungry for meat, for flesh.