3. I Wolfin' Love You

Avery's POV

I sat in the snug coffee café, doing some homework that needed to be done. The café was small and it contained few people. People who had their eyebrows knitted together in concentration, gazing at their college books with slight difficulty. Other had their eyes glued to their computer screens somewhat oblivious to others around them. And few were sipping hot coco, nodding and talking in muted tones. It was not late, but around 3 in the afternoon and I had grown a bit weary of the pale white apartment walls and went out to seek a different environment and landed up at the Blue Café.

I sighed and took a swig of the chocolate substance. It was tasty and satisfied my desire for warmth inside my body. I looked at my completed work. It was neat and well-written and I was positive that I would receive no less than an A-.  

Just then my phone went off.

"Hello?" I answered.  

"Yes, hi Avery," Luis said rather hastily.  

"Please come and get your mother. This has been the third time this week. She needs to get out of here."  

I sighed.  

"I'm on my way Luis. I'm coming."  

"Yes, okay. Please hurry." He hung up.

I placed my paper in my folder and stuffed that in the crook of my arm, throwing a couple of bills on the clean table surface. I grabbed my bag and went out into the cool air.  

I drove out of the small café, snatching a jacket from the backseat for my mother, knowing it would be a bit too small, since I was smaller than her, but got it none the less.

I parked into the empty parking lot of Luis's club, The Orange Frog. I made my way towards the black door, the jacket tucked away in my arms. The black door opened and Luis sighed. "Go get her." He stood back and I hurried inside to go and find my mother.

She was at the bar, her face pressed against the bar table and her dark golden hair showered over her face, her shoulders sagging, with a cup of what I believed was vodka in her hands. I ran up to her. "Mama? Mom?" I shook her fragile shoulders. She raised her head slowly and looked at me. She smiled. "Avery, baby. How are you?" Her voice slurred.

"Mom, let's go home okay? I'm going to take you home." She nodded and I wrapped the jacket around her. "Let's go home. You can go to sleep as long as you want there." We dragged back to the door where Luis was standing, arms crossed. 

"I'm sorry Luis. I truly am." His face softened. "I know it's not your fault kid," was all he said and closed the door behind us.

I tucked my mother inside the running car, buckling her in because I knew she wouldn't do it herself. I came into the car, glancing briefly at my exhausted looking mother as I put on my seatbelt.

We drove in silence. My mother eventually fell asleep, her light snore filling the silent car.  

I didn't feel like going home for I was afraid of breaking down. I was fearful now.  

As I was driving, we passed the lush forest, its presence mysterious and alluring. And it too was alluring and that was why I drove slowly up to the forest, stopping a few yards away. I left my mother resting upon the seat, and shut the door softly behind me as to not wake her up.

I looked up at the lofty trees and between the thick bushes and tree branches. Yes, it was alluring. It was inviting me in, and somehow it felt familiar. No, not familiar, but comforting. The forest calmed me. It slowed down the rapid pace of my heart and the prickly tears that wanted to betray me and slither down my face. The woodland made my throat un-tighten and gave off a sense of warmth and comfort. And so, I made my way into the forest.